Thursday, September 30, 2010

Inspiration

015

I took this photo back in June, knowing there would come a day when the sky was like iron and the air was soggy and I would need a reminder that life is beautiful. That picture, right there, does indeed remind me that my life is gorgeous. See my chicken coop in the background? My apple tree? My tire swing?

I made this quilt back in the late ‘90s, inspired by the incredible Denyse Schmidt.

016

My version of her design doesn’t do her any kind of justice, but I had the most fun making it, just sewing strips together without measuring, and letting them be, hoping they would be, wonky and canted. It was such a free process, and it taught me so much. I learned that if I want to just sit and chop up some fabric and start stitching it together, it will all turn out okay, more than okay, even. It will be spectacularly cool. I will venture to say that Denyse is the Elizabeth Zimmermann of quilting—she is the boss of her own sewing, and makes her own rules. Actually, if you really want a treat, type “Denyse Schmidt” into google images and then just sit back and swoon. Her sense of color is unbelievable.

017

This quilt is newer, from sometime in the past year, inspired by the delicious Jane Brocket. Oh my gosh, I love them together like that, against my purple clothesline and the lush grass, with the summer sunshine filtering down.

5 comments:

  1. I really enjoy your writing as much as the exuberant colors in your projects. I don't know how you manage family, full-time job and projects too. You are truly a modern super woman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A little birdie told me that you are getting a surprise soon. I cant wait to hear your reaction...And just forget it. IM SWORN to secrecy. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fact that it may be related in ANY way to this particular post means I am about out of my head with excitement...squeeeeeee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Though I actually know nothing, and it is possible she is sending a pamphlet about how to make fresh cheese at home. Which I would also enjoy. Love you too!

    ReplyDelete