Thursday, September 23, 2010

Spinning, rank beginner style

The weather yesterday was beautiful, so I took my spinning wheel outside, set up under the crabapple tree, and made this:

007

I bought this beautiful fiber last year and, as is my way, I started spinning it immediately. I am, I should mention, a self-taught spinner, and this luscious fiber is a mix of wool and silk, which turned out to be more than I could handle at the time. The silk seemed to make things both sticky and slippery at the same time, and I quickly grew completely frustrated by the process, so it sat, half-finished, for months. It hung from the wheel getting dusty and I was consumed by guilt until finally, last week, I got my mojo back.

I know it isn’t much to look at, because I don’t know anything at all about spinning, and I’m usually just happy with any result that looks like yarn.

004

It turned out reasonably balanced (which I think means it doesn’t have more twist in the spun singles than in the plying, and will hang straight down if you undo the skein) but I really couldn’t spin this with any consistency, so I have had to be content with the fact that this is one of those “thick ‘n thin” yarns I never know what to do with. Luckily, it looks pretty gorgeous just like that.

2 comments:

  1. You never cease to amaze me. Really. You do. Who does this? Spinning your own yarn? Man. You are TOO COOL. Geez. Not that I could ever even attempt to do such a thing, or even pretend to have the slightest dash of patience to try...but HOW COOL!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, honey. You're so good to me. :)

    ReplyDelete