Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Cut-Your-Losses Handbag

021

This is not the bag I was trying to make.

Last spring, I made a beautiful version of Alicia Paulson’s Tanglewood Bag, which is a gorgeous pattern, cleverly designed and written. I adore this bag. Adore it! The teensy little straps, though, were made to go with a swingy dress, and not with a down parka.

I was thinking fall; I was thinking browns and golds. I was thinking hobo bag, I was thinking something with a little more heft. I wanted wider straps. I cut up a pair of my pants (yes! I did!) and chose some autumnal fabrics to go with it.

011

I don’t know how it works for you all, but for me, the bag takes an hour, but the straps take two days. And, as you can see, they failed.

014

And then, I ran out of thread. And then, I couldn’t figure out how to make a buttonhole on the Loaner Machine.

So, I cut my losses, chopped off the ridiculous wide straps (maybe they can be a belt someday? I’m always thinking…) and picked apart the failed button flap. Then, I cut off the entire top of the bag, reshaped it as in the Tanglewood Bag, and made Alicia’s bias edging straps. I also added a leather lacing and vintage button closure. Sometimes, the perfect vintage button can save the day.

019

This bag is fully lined with fabrics that remind me, somehow of cowboys:

012

I love my little label.

This bag is not what I had planned, but I do like it. I definitely like it better than the ill-fitting pants it used to be. Next time, I think I’ll make a wider bias tape for the handles, but attach it the same way. Maybe there’s a winter version of this bag waiting in the wings?

020

I’d like to do this in a pearl gray, with frosty blue lining fabrics and a crystal button. I think I have just the pants…

1 comment: