Monday, October 25, 2010

Slipcover double-header

035

I had finally had enough of those green gingham slipcovers that didn’t match anything else I own, so fourteen hours and one huge headache later, I have two new ones. As it turns out, I can make slipcovers!

029

Here’s the old upholstery. Yuck! Just looking at that makes me feel like I need to take a shower.

028

Not too bad, huh? I followed my good friend Michelle’s very good advice and took apart one of the old slipcovers to use as a pattern. Those covers were ugly, but extremely well-fitting, so I gave myself a little extra room in the seams. That made these a little bit slouchy, which is supposed to be a good thing, right?

006

Hey, nice pleats! The hardest part of the whole thing has been trying to get enough sunlight all in one place so I can take pictures. The other chair is in an even darker corner of the room:

012

(I had to use the night setting on the camera, with flash. This was taken at 11:00 am in an east-facing room. I love New York!)

I’ve always wanted to be able to slipcover my furniture, but it seemed like such a mystery, and so much easier to just get new chairs. Now, I feel like I just discovered a superpower I didn’t know I had, and no upholstered thing is safe anymore.

019

Now that they’re done, I’m so impressed with myself for having done it, but am not quite convinced that the giant cabbage roses-covered look is me. I think I just need to get in touch with my inner Cath.

010

These chairs belong in an English country cottage, with green rolling hills outside and a wood-fired cooker in the kitchen. I will hang sturdy woolen stockings to dry and tuck up with a mug of something warm this winter, knitting happily away in these little chairs. What’s cozier than that?

Edit: I just linked this post at Kristy's Slipcover Party and I would love to grab the button and put it here but *small voice* I don't know how to do that yet. Help?

5 comments:

  1. Holy crap! Now you can do your couch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are so stinkin' cute! those slipcovers are fab.u.lous. great job! don't sweat the button, i'm a little techy challenged myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Kristi! I was super duper proud of myself, and now I want to slipcover everything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gem you are! Does your husband know how lucky he is to have such a clever and frugal wife?

    ReplyDelete