Thursday, December 2, 2010

DIY Christmas, continued

Christmas, sewing, crochet 007

My mother-in-law is a dear lady who loves her kitchen, so this holiday, I have made her these potholders. I didn’t quilt them because I’m pretty sure they are waaayy too thick for the needle to go through without catastrophe. The lining is four layers of denim, leftover from a skirt I made last year. There’s no way to get burned through these babies! They are backed with linen. To piece the patchwork, I used Alicia’s fusible interfacing method, the exact link to which I can’t give you because I can’t find it. But it’s brilliant!

Christmas, sewing, crochet 005

There’s also this dishtowel, made with linen and more patchwork. (The pottery pieces are my beloved measuring cups from Anthropologie.)

Christmas, sewing, crochet 003

The bottom edge is the selvedge of the fabric, which I thought looked cool, so I left it unfinished. I hope it’s not too rustic for her.

Christmas, sewing, crochet 013

I also made her a dishcloth. This is crocheted in woven stitch, which is lovely and quick to work, and makes this very sweet, very uncrochetlike fabric. Here’s how to do it:

Woven Stitch

Chain an even number of stitches. Chain one more, and turn work.

Row 1: Single crochet in the second chain from hook. Chain one. Continue like that to the end of the row, making the last single crochet in the last chain. Chain one and turn.

Row 2: Single crochet in the first chain one space. Chain one. Single crochet in the next chain one space, and chain one. Continue to the end of the row, making the last single crochet in the last chain. Chain one and turn.

Keep repeating row 2 until your piece is as long as you want it to be. Cut the yarn and fasten it off. Weave in the ends.

The yarn is something from the sale bin at Hobby Lobby called “Baby Bee” which is 50% cotton and 50% acrylic. My experience has been that the addition of a little acrylic to a dishcloth will help keep it nice and soft and allow it to dry more quickly. I’ve never used this yarn before, but I think it will be nice for her.

Christmas, sewing, crochet 012

Isn’t it pretty? Don’t they look nice together? I love how these all turned out. Ho ho ho!

2 comments:

  1. And that's a ho ho ho from where I'm sitting, too! What a fantastic collection of lovely handmade stuff. I especially love that tea towel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, my dear! :)

    ReplyDelete