Sunday, January 2, 2011

Embroidered Valance

embroidery 006

In the new year, I am always seized by an urge to redo everything. There are paint swatches all over the place right now, and I tore up a carpet to reveal multi-colored painted wood floors, aargh. There’s so much to do, and my brain is brimming with ideas, but as you know, there are only so many hours in a day.

I really wanted to get rid of our old, outdated bamboo blinds. I’m sick of looking at them. So 1994!

embroidery 003

I’m embroidering a small white snowflake motif (another found in Alicia Paulson’s ”Embroidery Companion” book) on oatmeal linen, using cross stitch on waste canvas. Waste canvas turns out to be hard for me to use—at least at first, I couldn’t really “see” where the squares were, and couldn’t stop focusing on the holes between them. Also, white on white? Can you see that up there? No? Me either!

embroidery 016

Once I remove the waste canvas, steam-press the heck out of the linen using many arm muscles, a spray bottle and quite a few minutes, then line the linen with muslin and hang it in the window, it looks like this. Pretty, no? Well, you might have to trust me.

I would’ve taken a daylight photo, but you can’t see the stitching at all during the day. It’s like a little surprise for later, a little treat. embroidery 013

Out with the old, in with the new. Three more windows to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment