Monday, January 31, 2011

Girly sink skirt

100_6771a

My husband has always been the painter in the family. I have other talents. For instance, I’m very good at sitting on the couch with a bowl of chips and saying, “That looks great! You missed a spot!” He is very patient and will not panic, even when a full bucket of paint goes over onto the carpet. He used to let me help him paint, but years ago, one tiny closet proved that there was not room for both of us to be the painter in the family, and in fact he was equal to this task on his own, and I got out of his way.

Well now, he’s Very Busy, and asking for a painted bathroom doesn’t seem fair, especially since I am crafty and can jolly well pick up a paintbrush myself. So I did, in this bathroom. I surprised myself and did a fair job. No big drips, no big catastrophes.

The pipes under that pedestal sink are U.G.L.Y. There are gobs of putty all over them and splotches of paint from the last three times we he painted in there, and I decided to make a little skirt to hide them.

100_6772

It’s very girly. I measured around the sink, then added half that measurement again to the total, then just hemmed it on three sides. At the top, I made a small casing and ran a cotton cord through there, gathering to the measurement of the sink, then stitched the ends closed to secure the cord and gathers. Then I used sticky backed velcro to attach the skirt to the sink so it can be washed, in the likely event that someone mistakes it for a towel.

100_6774a

Not bad for a day’s work! I love it in here now. There is nothing like a tidy bathroom to make you feel like you have all your ducks in a row.



I've linked this post at Blessed Little Nest's Life Made Lovely Monday. Come see a few others!

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Fun! Great idea!

    Stopping by from Life Made Lovely

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!! Makes me want to replace this awful laminate cabinet or at least make a skirt for it...
    Elise

    ReplyDelete