Saturday, January 8, 2011

Rest

crochet 028

Here’s a moment of quiet. I love the rare winter days when the sun comes through the windows, and the cat sleeps on his back in a comfy flowered chair, and it’s all warm and dozy beside the fire. On days like this, I feel inspired to cook things, and since I managed to find a bin of avocadoes at 6 for $1.00 (yes, you read that right! Go ahead and digest for a moment, I’ll wait…) I decided to make a huge batch of guacamole.

This involved a call to my mom, who makes the best guacamole, although the best part about hers is that she’ll whip it up at midnight, when you’re sitting around the kitchen island in your pajamas, nibbling on snacks and wine. All you have to say is, “Hmm, I wish we could have some guacamole,” and she springs into action. It is so delish. Here’s her recipe, and I swear this is what she said:

Mom’s Midnight Guacamole

Peel and mash up three avocadoes, which will make a lot.

Add the juice of a lime. Well, half a lime. Okay, cut it into quarters…

Put in some garlic powder. Just sprinkle it on like you’re salting it. If you add too much, it will be really garlicky.

Now for some salsa. Spoon it in until the guacamole is the right color.

That’s it! Enjoy. And you will. Serve with salty corn chips. This dish is best enjoyed in the middle of the night, when it will feel the most decadent and luxurious.

2 comments:

  1. I just stumbled upon your blog and I LOVE it!!! I am going to have to try your guacamole-sounds delish!! I did have to comment after I read about your iron...I have that same one. A few years ago, I was sewing up a little dress and my plastic, ugly, too modern looking iron gave out. I asked a friend if I could borrow her's until I could get one. Fast forward a few days, I got myself that vintage inspired black and decker one, my husband came home and asked, "Dang, how old is Amy's iron?" I told him it was our NEW one!! Hahaha!!! Oh, LOVE those quilts you make, too-I may have to pick up a new hobby. ;)
    Elise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elise! I can heartily recommend the guacamole, if you can decipher my mom's instructions. It's pretty foolproof. I'm so glad you found me, and I hope you'll visit often. :)

    ReplyDelete