Sunday, February 27, 2011

Bittersweet Cabled Cardigan

100_7028a

How does a person know she’s in love with knitting? One sign is that finishing a cable-covered cardigan like this means she can immediately cast on for something else. The huge mountain of sweaters she already has is another.

100_7033a

It’s not like I need any more sweaters. Or socks, or scarves, or anything else, for that matter. But sometimes, I see a pattern and I just think, Yeah! I want to knit that. Sometimes, honestly, the process is the best part. I love knitting.

100_7037a

Stuff like this is my idea of a good time. That’s how I know I’m a knitter.

100_7038a

I learned to knit when I was eleven, in the back of a station wagon, listening to Foreigner on the radio, and I have to say it has sort of agreed with me over the years.

100_7045a

I quite enjoy being able to do this, to make things like this sweater. I actually really, really love it.

100_7047a

The pattern is 01 Cabled Cardigan from the Fall 2010 Vogue Knitting (my Ravelry page is here) and I used what seems to be my new favorite yarn, Berroco Vintage, which turned out not to have been the best choice for cable work, but which is so lovely to work with and wear that I will forgive it this time.

100_7041a

7 comments:

  1. WOW! Double wow!! That is just beautiful! I'm mad about cables too (I would call this Aran) and the colour is gorgeous. Fantastic work x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is just beautiful! I love the color too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh now that is really, really gorgeous. My knitting is rather rudimentary but I'm working my way up to cables at some point in the future. Lovely work as always!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ,,,your "lil" piece of heaven screams "spring is around the corner",,,it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow what a gorgeous cardigan - I love that dark marmalade orange colour!
    Kristen, I am so pleased to pass on to you a Stylish Blogger Award - congratulations!
    I hope you will accept, please pop over to my blog to read about it - am loving your blog since I found it!
    Gill x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gill, thank you so much! I do accept, but I find it suddenly difficult to think of eight things to tell about me that anyone would find even remotely interesting. Must give this task the proper amount of thinking. I will pass it along and thank you properly, I promise. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cardigan is fab - but I love the scarf - is it 198 yards of heaven? Looks much finer than mine was, and bigger too...

    ReplyDelete