Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Comfort Knitting Blanket

The Comfort Knitting Blanket is finished.

100_6990a

This project was born fully of my need to be knitting something while I watched all six seasons of Northern Exposure in a row. John Corbett, I love you! I started it back in November, and never got bored, ever, though I did fall asleep under it once, while it was still in progress. With the hook still in it. I blame the cat, he’s like a sleeping pill.

100_6982a

Nothing in the world could be easier than this blanket. Want one? Do this: 1. Assemble your yarn. Most of the time, when I make a blanket I just toss together whatever I’ve got lying around, as long as it’s the same (or almost the same) weight. This time, though, for the sake of gauge and uniformity, I decided to stick with one brand, and I chose Berroco Vintage Wool. I’ve gone on about this yarn before, but it really couldn’t be more perfect for a blanket (though you may find the colors a little muted.) It’s soft, drapey, and it doesn’t cost an arm and a leg. 2. Take up your US #7 needles and, using any color you want, cast on 40 stitches. Now just knit until you get bored with that color. Switch colors. Repeat until you’ve reached the length you want—for me, that ended up being 266 garter ridges later, a number I reached by laying the piece of knitting over my body and saying, “Yep, that looks about right.” 3. Now make five more pieces in the same way. 4. Sew them together using a whipstitch in a contrasting color. 5. Call it done, or crochet on a border.

100_6977a

I used the Bobble-Shell Edging devised by the lovely Lucy at Attic24—you can find it here. She says every blanket deserves a proper border, and she’s so right.

100_6980a

This blanket has a clean, modern look. Very unfussy. I think it looks like something a man might be willing to use. Here’s an all-over shot. I’m sorry, it’s very blurry.

100_6987

Yikes, sorry about that. I can’t seem to hold the camera over my head without wiggling it.

100_7000a

Mmmm, cozy!

5 comments:

  1. Wonderful!!! Cozy!!! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ,,,b.e.a.u.t.i.f.u.l.,,,how i wish i possessed the skills necessary to make these wonderful, keep me warm and cozy, throws,,,i should quit wishing and learn!,,,(smile)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Rebecca, you can knit this, I swear. It could not be easier. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the colours you've used in your blanket - really cheery!
    Havent seen that bobble fringe before, it really finishes off your lovely blanket - must check that out on Lucys blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your photos make me wanna learn knitting. Very pretty stitches.

    ReplyDelete