Saturday, February 12, 2011

Felicity’s Lipstick Granny Square Blanket

100_6904a

The lipstick-colored Granny Blanket is done! 

100_6906

I never got tired of working on this thing, not once, although weaving in that last end is always the best thing ever.  Last night as I was working on the edging, I kept stopping to just gaze upon it, you know what I mean?  Just kind of smoothing it lovingly with my hand and murmuring, “Oh, isn’t that preeetttyyy?”  The picot edge is Lucy’s—you can find it here

100_6909a

This blanket was meant to be.  I started it back in September after seeing one innocent little photo in a magazine.  I’m highly suggestible, I guess, because I saw the photo, thought, “Hey, I have a whole bunch of red yarn!”  and dropped everything to start making squares, right then and there. I worked on it a little while, then it sort of fell to the end of the line.  I got it back out a few weeks ago and crocheted my little fingers to the bone so I could get it done before winter’s over (though, actually, there’s no end in sight, so I guess I need not have worried.) 

100_6925a

This blanket is relatively small, just 72” x 84”, so it won’t fit on the bed, but I don’t need any more blankets for my bed (Haha!  I just have to laugh at that.  As if I need any more blankets anywhere at all!  My interest in making blankets is in no way relative to my need to have blankets.  I can’t explain this.)  It is mostly wool, culled from the stash, though I did buy four balls of Ella Rae Amity (a wool blend) to make up the light blue inner border of each square.  The red wool is Pingouin Fleur de Laine (this company appears to be gone forever, at least here in the US) which waited so patiently in my yarn cupboard for sooo long and which finally, finally, was the perfect yarn for something.  I bought seven balls of it for 21 dollars sometime in the early 90’s, and then it just sat there glowing like a neon sign, so unashamedly RED, so useless for clothing.  So right for this beautiful blanket.  I actually almost threw it away at one point.  I got a chill just now, thinking about that.

100_6910a

Love, love, love.  LOVE. 

14 comments:

  1. It is gorgeous! That red just sets it off!!! I love, no adore, the color combo of red with pale blue or aqua!! Being a quilter, I know better than anyone, that one can never have enough blankets! Blankets=comfort!
    PS My name is also Kristin, but with an in.
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous!!! I love love love it!!!!!!!
    Elise

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. Is that a rug that its folded up on in one photo?? I would so steal it...or you could just tell me where you got it...;)
    Thanks!! Hope you have a great weekend!!
    Elise

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys are so nice! Thanks so much--I gotta tell you, I LOVED making this thing! I'm a little sad it's over. :D

    @Elise--the rug is from TJ Maxx. Every time I go in that place, my wallet starts to sweat. I hope you have one where you are, and if so, I hope you have more self-control in there than I do. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blanket is gorgeous! I really need to get back to my granny square blanket and finish it. Poor thing sits in a corner, patiently waiting for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is absolutely stunning. Red is a fave color of mine and it compliments this so beautifully! Enjoy (I know you will)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Soooooooooo lovely!! I am all about the granny everything lately and I love the colors you chose. I recently made one for a friend, and I really had to be stern with myself not to keep it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, is there anything crafty that you can't do? I'm continually blown away by the breadth of your talent, the scale of your projects, and the wonder of your imagination in all the crafty things you create!
    I'm well impressed, your things are so lovely. This blanket is one of my favourite things to date, but it has some stiff competition.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all so much! *hug hug hug* It's so lovely to hear such nice things. Around the house, everyone is getting a little jaded with my continuous crafting, and they just say, "Another blanket, huh? Cool." You all are just wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's been so lovely visiting your blog! I absolutely love, love, love your granny blanket - it's fabulous. Beautiful crochet and great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. love your blog! all i know how to do with crochet is single stitch. I make afghans, scarves, hand warmers etc but you have got me soooo jazzed to learn to make a granny square! now to find a tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Kristen! I've just discovered your lovely blog! I love that blanket....gorgeous colours x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Andrea! Thanks very much. Is it too soon to start another, do you think? :)

    ReplyDelete