Tuesday, March 29, 2011

And so it begins: Doilies, part 1

100_7325a

I have forayed into the land of crocheted doilies!  My dear old granny would be so proud of me.  She’d probably carefully inspect my picots and then tell me it was a “real pretty thing.”  And then she’d make me a lemon cake with lemon icing, because that’s my favorite. 

100_7321a

This is a pretty big doily, maybe 18 inches in diameter, crocheted in cotton worsted on a US F hook.  I used a rug pattern (I know!  Isn’t that great?  You could crochet a rug!) which I am pretty sure came from this book by Erika Knight, but which has now been returned to the library and the cover in the photo from the link doesn’t match the cover on the book I had, so I don’t know.  But I think that’s the one; it for sure was Erika, anyway.   And if you make an actual rug using crochet, I really would truly LOVE to see a picture.   Gosh, the possibilities keep getting more endless all the time. 

This was scarily fun to make.  Everyone in my house is now worried that the next time they turn around, there will be a doily on every surface, and I just can’t guarantee that won’t happen. 

100_7323a

Wow, that tablecloth is in every photo lately.  Must be I love it.  Hey, that’s right, I do!  It’s terry cloth, gingham, and lime green, all in one.  What the heck’s not to love about that? 

5 comments:

  1. Ooooooh, this is lovely. I love the old granny-kitsch style these days. Rock on, and cover every horizontal surface with one! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey girl.

    I have made tons of those pretty little things. My mom's apt.is just full of my creation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ,,,your granny would be proud of you,,,it's beautiful,,,i say the more the merrier should they begin to multiply,,,you're so stinkin' talented and i'm so envious,,,(smile)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that is fantastic! I have a load of vintage doilys and they are so intricate and look so difficult to make, so well done to you for making it!
    Love that lime gingham table cloth too!!!

    ReplyDelete