Sunday, March 27, 2011

Crocheted leaves

100_7313a

Still, it is so cold here; bitingly, bitterly, intensely cold.  I am desperate for some flowers, and since the ones in the garden are smart enough to hide under the blown leaves for now, I had to go out and make my own. 

100_7305a

All the sticks in our yard are still buried under three inches of ice, so I ran out with my secateurs and clipped this off the only branch I could reach on our big maple.  I went out without a coat (because I insist that it is spring, and the sun is shining, and it really can’t still be as cold as all that, right?  Wrong) so was in a bit of a hurry. 

100_7316a

It reminds me of some kind of granny chic, folk art, weird ikebana.  It is both homemade and a little bit fancy, in a strange sculptural way. 

100_7265a

I’m not even going to mention my usual thing about using up your scraps, because these are so small and take so little yarn that they don’t use up anything.  You can make about fifty of them in ten minutes.  Bundling up and hunting down your secateurs and going out into the wind and choosing a good branch and then finding a vase to put it in will take way longer. 

100_7268a

Until I get some real color in my garden, these will do nicely.  The lovely little pattern is here

100_7311a

6 comments: