Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Garden Party Project Bag

100_7056a
This is my new favorite project bag. I love to have a fantastic project bag; I can’t stand carrying my knitting around in a plastic bag from the grocery store. I have this idea that, somehow, the look of my project bag will actually affect the project that’s inside it. I know. But since part of the fun is the process, I want everything to be as pretty as possible. (I will choose a needle or hook that matches the yarn, too. The fact that I can do that means my collection of hooks and needles is way too big.)
100_7052
This bag was pretty simple—I used Lucy’s flat circle pattern to make the bag bottom, then switched to the Catherine Wheel stitch pattern in two colors, which came from Sasha Kagan’s book Crochet Inspiration. I had to do some figuring in order to make it work in the round, but that’s pretty much how I roll, I just look at the picture and figure out how to do it my own way. Once I had it solved, I just kept going until it looked tall enough, then added the bobble shell edging, also from the lovely Lucy, and then a pair of handles made with three rows of single crochet.
100_7053a
I think this flower just makes the whole thing! It’s actually two flowers sewn one on top of the other, made from patterns also found in Crochet Inspiration. Once I sewed that flower on there, I was in love. Now I want to take my knitting (which at the moment is just a boring piece of gray cardigan) everywhere I go, whether I’m planning to work on it or not.

16 comments:

  1. OOOO I love it!!! Great colors too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I'm poppin in from I Crochet. I just love the colors in your project bag.
    Great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That bag is great! Thanks for sharing on iCrochet :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful bag ! Wonderful colours. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Kristen I love the bag! You are so clever!Those two colours together is one of my all time favourite colour combinations, so lovely - i was lucky enough to find 4 Denby mugs the other day at TK Maxx in pale apple green outside and pale turquoise insdide - i love em!
    Like the look of that catherine wheel design - add that to my list of wanna make's
    Gill x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just love the bag!beautiful colours

    ReplyDelete
  7. The bag is just too cute! I would be happy also carrying it around.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been obsessed with crocheted bags lately, and this one is really lovely! I love the pattern you used, such a beautiful way to combine the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this bag. I've been meaning to learn how to do the Catherine wheel stitch. Such inspiration. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ,,,beautiful!,,,that would make a great lil satchel for me to bring on my trips to the farmers market, i can visualize flowers peeking out from the top and veggies and fruit resting inside,,,what is a girl to do that can't knit?,,,(smile)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the colour combinations but especially the stitch style, not one i've seen before and very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you all, very much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a fabulous bag, just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely love this bag! Colours, stitches, shape... Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it.....pretty and sweet too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This bag is SO gorgeous!! Thanks so much for sharing your design, I've made two already!

    ReplyDelete