Friday, March 25, 2011

Mom J’s Comfort Knitting

100_7272a

On Wednesday, my mother-in-law shocked everybody by announcing she was going in the next day to have her hip replaced. That pretty much sums up this sweet lady, who has never once in her whole life complained about anything; who would never want anybody to worry about her. Since we live about 400 miles away, I can’t go over and make a pot of soup (though I had such an enormous need to do this that I made a pot of soup anyway, and it’s simmering on the stove right now) so I made her a little Comfort Knitting Kit. It is one big ball of ecru cotton yarn, a pair of US size 6 needles and a little pair of scissors, along with a pattern that says, “Cast on 45 stitches. Knit until it’s a square. Bind off. Repeat as needed.” It all goes into a drawstring bag.

Knitting always comforts me, and if I had to spend the next six weeks either hobbling around with shooting pains going up my leg or sitting in a recliner, resting up from having just been hobbling around with shooting pains going up my leg, I’d want to have some completely plain knitting to fill my hands and my head, to soothe me.

All this is projecting, a little, because though she does know how to knit, she is very far from being the sort of girl who (like me) will spend an entire day making one sleeve and consider it time well spent. My mother in law likes to be on the move, which is why I think this little spell of recovery and rest might be particularly hard on her, and why I think she could use something productive to do while she waits it out.

Then again, if you knew her, you might not be surprised if she’s up and on the treadmill tomorrow, and snow-blowing the driveway on Saturday.

Get well soon, Mom.

100_7273a

6 comments:

  1. What a nicy story...
    You make very nice things, I liked them all...
    Greetings, Elizabeth from the Netherlands

    ReplyDelete
  2. Knitting and crocheting are indeed very comforting... at least for me! And I'm "infecting" my Mom and Aunt too :) This is a very nice idea!
    Mom got her hip replaced 2 years ago, it was the best decision she made--when she recovered she said "why didn't I do this earlier?!" because she now feels so much better.
    I hope your mother in law gets well fast too... and maybe she will take the opportunity to learn to knit :)
    Have a great weekend!
    xx
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a lovely, lovely gift! and a great idea! I hope you MiL recovers quickly from surgery xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hoping for a very speedy recovery. Your gift is perfect, what a great idea.xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is just the sweetest gift idea! I would be thrilled to bits to receive a pressie like that. Sending best wishes for her post op recovery.

    ReplyDelete