Thursday, March 31, 2011

More Lambswool

100_7333a

Thank you for all your well wishes yesterday. I am not a good patient. The minute the sniffles hit me, I turn into a huge baby and start expecting everyone around me to realize I am siiiiiiiiiiick (whinewhine) and bring tea and hot soup and do all the dishes and just generally treat me like a princess. Which they don’t do, and why should they, but it bums me out every time. Everyone but me is Very Busy around here, so I have had to fend for myself and get my own orange juice. Poor thing.

Not much got done yesterday since I mostly just lay on the couch under a pile of magazines and blankets, reeking of Vicks VapoRub, but I have made some progress on the Cody sweater project—more spinning has happened, and after a quick lesson in plying from Debbie (no, you don’t have to keep your hand on the brake the whole time…duh) I managed a couple more skeins of what looks like somewhere between fingering and DK weight yarn. These photos represent its awesome, pre-washed, pre-felted state, where it looks fantastic and it almost seems like I’m the kind of girl who can take animal hair and make yarn.

100_7332a

I like how it’s heart-shaped in that one. Cody’s lambswool, I loooove you! But you can maybe also see there that the yarn looks a little bit like…string? Can you see that? I don’t know if you can tell, but it really just needs a little bath. It’s just gotta be washed, that’s all there is to it. And when this fiber hits the water, craaazy things start happening. So into the sink it went, and it came out a little bit felted again, as expected, and since that’s what happened to the first two skeins, as desired, too.

100_7303a

But it’s knitting up into a dream. This sweater-in-progress is softer than baby pajamas. I am so lucky to be spinning it, plying it, washing it, felting it (a little), knitting with it, and learning from it. It’s the most beautiful thing ever.

5 comments:

  1. Clever, clever you! Gorgeous stuff. Can't wait to see the finished piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sweater looks so lovely and soft.. very nice..! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Feeling any better? I find rocheting and knitting always to be good therapy (even for colds lol). This sweater is so yummy looking!!!
    xx
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, all! Yes, I feel better today. You're right, Teresa, yarn therapy is the best there is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you're starting to feel better - the yarn looks terrific and soft.

    ReplyDelete