Monday, April 4, 2011

Emily Bronte’s Favorite Cardigan

100_7342a

The rain is lashing the bare branches outside and the yard looks like the set from Wuthering Heights, so I think I have a cozy new sweater at just the right time. I don’t know when spring will really get here, but I’m beginning to think maybe never, so the wool sweater factory is still cranking at full throttle.

100_7343a

This dressmaker’s form has some pretty ridiculous linebacker shoulders that I can’t seem to adjust, but you can get the idea. I started with Debbie O’Neill’s Paperboy Cardigan from the winter/spring 2011 issue of Knitscene, and except for changing the seed stitch sections to stockinette, I made the back and fronts according to her pattern. The sleeves, though, are written as semi-drop shouldered, which don’t flatter anybody me, and that necessitated a remodel, so I started from scratch and made up my own sleeves. The yarn is Patons Classic Merino, recycled from a failure sweater I knit last spring.

100_7344a

I love gray cabled cardigans. This one makes four. Gray cabled cardigans I’ve knitted. For myself. Might be time to branch out a little.

100_7341a

It’s already missing a button. I can’t wait to wear this.

7 comments:

  1. This looks gorgeous - I love the cable work. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristen, Wuthering Heights is one of my favourite books and I love reading the Bronte sisters' books... and this cardigan is absolutely lovely! Might have to give it a try too :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Strangely enough the autumn weather settling here has made me feel like knitting...a grey cabled cardy. It would be my first. I had a good old look around Ravelry last night to see what was on offer!
    Also thank you for mentioning a knit failure. It's good to know that even superamazing knitters such as yourself have those every now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful and very stylish. I am cable crazy myself! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks very cosy and the cable looks great.Grey is such a great colour as it goes with virtually everything

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, you guys. I wore it yesterday and today, and I might wear it again tomorrow. It is soooo cozy!

    ReplyDelete