Thursday, April 21, 2011

Knowing when to say when

100_7423a

I’m in a git ‘er done kind of mood right now, so yesterday afternoon, I got this out to work on it.  It’s been lurking in the work basket for almost a year, kind of in limbo, because I don’t love it, and as I realized when I looked at it again yesterday, have never loved it.  All the time, I kept thinking that if I just added another color—the right color this time—then it could be saved and I would start to see what it was I liked about all these colors together when I started.  (It didn’t help that I’d raided the basket for yarn to make this blanket and this one, taking all the nice brights and really good colors away and leaving nothing but navy blue, a couple reds, and mustard brown.)  I tried to imagine where this blanket would end up if I powered through and finished it, and I saw it in my closet, in a box underneath the winter coats.  That’s a huge waste of this beautiful yarn. 

Nope, even though it was halfway done and I liked working on it (because, hey, crocheting is fun!) this blanket was over.  So I spent an hour turning it into this:

100_7424a

Friends, it felt good. 

7 comments:

  1. I know the feeling. I have been wanting to learn crochet for forever because of Lucy's (attic24) bag. Now that I finally know how to crochet I started the bag and hated the colors - it has yet to be finished and I think it won't be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes, frogging is the only option, although I thought the blanket looked lovely. I have frogged many a project and really have never regretted it.
    Have a great day,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good plan! And you're so right, if you don't like the colours together, you won't like the finished blanket, so much better to save the lovely wool for other combinations. I did enjoy looking at the other beautiful blankets you took the yarn for!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. If the colour's aren't doing it for you, then i think it's good to start again and give those yarns new life in a new project. Love rifling through all your lovely posts! Very inspiring for me as a beginner, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you to make the decision to start afresh! But oh my! All that work.. must have been a hard to unravel... :S I would have found it hard to do anyway..!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ,,,some times you just have to scrap the whole idea and start over,,,the yarn looks lovely all together keeping each other company until next time,,,

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you, knowing when enough is enough. No point if you know you'll never enjoy using it.

    Now you can start on something new and not have it hanging over you as a UFO!
    Yay!
    have a Happy Easter!
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete