Friday, May 13, 2011

Embroidered Monogram

100_7608a

I don’t know if it’s because I’m all immersed in Little House on the Prairie right now, or whether it’s because it’s spring and a girl feels like sprucing up her house, or what it is, but I am falling hard down a lovely embroidery rabbit hole and don’t want to come out any time soon.  This is delicate work, embroidery is; and it’s careful and tiny.  It isn’t functional by itself, unlike knitting or sewing or quilting—it’s just there to be beautiful.  You can put it on something functional, and that thing will be transformed from the mundane to the splendid.  I really love that. 

100_7610a

This monogram design is from Alicia Paulson’s book Embroidery Companion; a gorgeous book full of tempting projects.  I sat up late last night, listening as Ma and Pa and Mary and Laura and Baby Carrie loaded up their wagon and left the little log house on the prairie, heading out of Indian Country and into a new unknown, and I stitched this little “J” and thought about what that would’ve been like, and I realized I can never know.

3 comments:

  1. That is the most delicate beautiful embroidery ever. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really impressive. I'm always inspired embroidered monogram but feel that I may lack the patience to apply myself properly. I love your colour combinations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now you have activated my curiosity towards this embroidery thing again,
    And I am certainly going to travel a lot these next few months, so perhaps it could be nice to bring something other than that darn work computer ;-)
    *more thinking*
    Thank you for a lovely time
    Reply

    ReplyDelete