Sunday, May 15, 2011

Fabric covered journal

 

Well, it appears some of your sweet comments from a few days ago are all the way gone, boo.  Luckily, I remember them all.  Anyway, it’s been a whole year with Blogger, and that was the first problem, so I am not complaining.  Onward!

100_7622a 

While Blogger was ruminating on all its problems, I was busily crafting away, and I made this cute little notebook. 

100_7624a

I like to carry a little journal around with me in case I should get a brilliant idea (could happen someday) or if I need to write down my dentist appointment, which is really what they get used for, but anyhoo. 

At first, I wanted to make this one completely of felt, with cute little felt shapes stitched to the front, but since I don’t seem to have any local sources for that lovely wool felt everyone talks about and am stuck with using horrendous acrylic sheets in lurid colors, I don’t have much felt in the stash.  So my solution came by way of an anonymous source (okay, it was my engineer husband who can solve just about any problem, even felt-related problems) who said, “Why don’t you use regular fabric for the outside, and then just pink the edges?” 

100_7621a 

So I did.  Great idea!  Actually, here’s the whole thing, in a nutshell:

1.  Cut one piece of 9 1/4” x 6” piece of fabric for the outside cover, one piece of felt the same size for the inside cover.  Fuse some interfacing to the wrong side of the fabric. 

2.  Decorate the front of the cover however you like—I used WonderUnder to fuse fabric scraps to it and then did some decorative stitching around the flowers. 

3.  When the decorating is done, pin the felt to the wrong side and use your pinking shears to trim all the way around the piece.  Now use a long running stitch and all six strands of a length of embroidery floss to sew them together. 

4.  To make the paper pages, stack six or eight sheets of paper together and eyeball it to cut to the right size.  I used lined paper, but you can use whatever you want.  Using a big needle and six strands of floss, sew it to the inside of the cover.  I poked just two holes in mine, and tied the floss loop in a knot on the inside. 

100_7626a

The best part is that when these pages are full, I can just cut the floss loop and take them out, and put fresh new pages in. 

100_7619a

This little amigurumi mouse wanted to be in the photos so bad, I just couldn’t tell him no.  He’s been around so long, I don’t remember where he came from.   He hasn’t got a name, and I think he needs one, don’t you?

I really want to thank Jane and MeMe Rose for the lovely Blogger awards.  You all are too kind!  I invite you all to go visit them; they are both making some beautiful things!   Please go see.  :) 

4 comments:

  1. So pretty and a fab idea for gifts. Love your little mouse also. Melanie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sew lovely! (sorry - couldn't help myself!) Clever idea. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. ,,,love the journel and the lil mouse,,,agree, he needs a name,,,(smile)

    ReplyDelete