Sunday, June 19, 2011

Cath’s Holly Hobbie Bag

100_7827a

The Lesson of the Day is about hasty fabric choices, and how such can result in a bag that looks like it was made from a c.1979 Christmas tree skirt.   I made this as inspired by the pattern photo (from the book Sew! by Cath Kidston) but I wish now I’d gone with my gut and used a larger assortment of fabrics.  I do really love motley patchwork, and this is a little too organized for my taste.   It looks like it could be one of those pre-printed fake patchwork fabrics, but I--and the puncture holes in my finger where a thimble really should go--can assure you that I did spend most of four days hand-stitching this little beauty. 

IMG_2577a

I also think the handles are a little bit small and silly, but they’re what I had.  I do believe this thing could benefit from a little irony, but it has none whatsoever, and it looks like something you might consider spending a dollar for at a yard sale.  But I can say I have learned to paper-piece hexagons!  That’s something, right?

10 comments:

  1. It doesn't even look like you pieced it together. Looks like one piece of material. Although it's not exactly as you would have hoped, it sure looks good and can be used to hold your next project. Question is, now that you have done it, would you do it again? Have a great day! Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I for one think it's a very sweet little bag. I like the colour combos of pinks, reds and greens and think the lining is very cute.

    BTW love that crochet cushion cover in photo 2!
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thinkit looks great. Retro is back so you are a trend setter. I think it is a perfect size for your knitting.
    Happy Sunday,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your bag is as darling as can be and I love your handles! I have always wanted to learn to make one of those bags. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a very beautiful bag!

    Have a nice day, Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's always disappointing when a project doesn't live up to the vision in your head, but I think you are your own biggest critic. Your bag is beautiful. I love the patchwork and the shape is so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's beautiful! You clever girl - it really is gorgeous. Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that bag is gorgeous. LOVE the choice of fabrics.. Your so talented! I have the CK Sew book and reallllyy need to try some more things out of it!

    Ashley xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all, so much! Aw, I guess my poor little bag is kinda cute. :)

    ReplyDelete