Monday, June 6, 2011

Conundrum

100_7743a

I worked on this for three hours this morning, and have one row to show for it, because as soon as I started adding pink, I suddenly didn’t like it and had to rip out a whole bunch of rows.  Now I’m not sure what to do next, and none of the colors look good together—ugh!  Very un-cozy.  It does look pretty, just like that.  Too bad it won’t even reach my knees yet, so I must wait for inspiration to strike me.  The pink has to go in there for the brown to work…think, think, think…

100_7737

I picked these weeds wildflowers yesterday, from the front yard of an abandoned house.  Somebody comes along about twice a year and shears off the grass in that yard, going in a big hurry, leaving big seedy stems in between the rows and the clipped grass looking like heaps of hay.  I don’t think anybody cares about that house but me—something about it is wonderful and lonely, and I can imagine the robin’s egg blue kitchen and rose-printed wallpaper, and myself in an apron in the doorway.   The roof sags and tree seedlings are coming up in the gutters, and I know it won’t be very long before the ivy covers it completely and it disappears into the woods, but the lilacs still bloom in it’s dooryard, and lilies come up beside the overgrown hedge.

All of which is to distract myself from the problem at hand:

100_7744a

What to do?  Think, think.

10 comments:

  1. Hmmm... what a predicament. You could fade back into green and then back into blue? I wish you the best! It's looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it very much !!!!!!

    Marjo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is amazingly beautiful, i know where you are comming from though, its a tricky one, good luck.
    i love the sound of the abandoned house, i can picture it, your words are lovely, sounds like one of those old movies
    j x

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks so beautiful!
    Maybe some more greens like enchanted gardens with herbs and blossoms... Or repeat the first part... Or mirror the piece you have yet... It will be just perfect when the decision is there - just wait for it in the hammock, it tiptoes towards you ...
    x Hilde

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooo, i like it just the way it is!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am new to this website and I would love to attempt making this blanket. I have one question...what does tog mean?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michele--"tog" means "together." :)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. You're not needy, and I'm happy to help--you just work the stitches together as if they were one. Let me hunt for a tutorial link for you...brb.

      Delete
    4. Too many Youtube videos to sort through, so instead, thinking back to another time somebody asked me this question, I found my reply, so maybe this will help: The 6 dc tog works this way: you yarn over, put the hook through the top loop of the stitch below, and then hook and draw the yarn through two loops--leaving one loop on your hook. Do that six times, once in each of the six stitches below that form the little "trench" (jeepers, am I making sense at all?) and you'll have seven loops on your hook. (You're kind of filling in the little ditch made by the row before. See what I mean?) Yarn over and draw a loop through all seven loops. This forms a little cinch at the top, and all six dcs you halfway made get pulled together at the top. Now, in the next row, when you dc in the top of the 6 dc tog, that little cinch stitch is where you'll put the hook. Work all 6 dcs in that same loop, so they'll fan out like a shell.

      Good luck!

      Delete