Thursday, June 16, 2011

Paper Pieced Hexagons

100_7812a 

I spent all day piecing hexagon rosettes by hand—very, very addictive, I warn you.  Give this one minute and before you know it, you’ll be headfirst in your scraps bag, rootling around for different color combinations and ignoring the dinner dishes. 

I‘m having a blast, but I’ve learned a couple things:  first, I think I’ve taken the whole scrap-saving thing to a new level of crazy.  If the piece is such a teeny shred that I can’t make one hexagon from it, then it’s too small, and even if I do want it for something small later, I’ll never be able to find it again.  What good are all these little postage-stamp-sized bits if I don’t know where they are?  (Memo to self—must go through and catalog wee scraps so as not to have to ditch anything…)  Also, I am in dire need of a crash course in geometry, because, it turns out I can’t make a cardboard hexagon with six sides that are actually equal to each other, no matter how many scientific instruments I use.  

100_7810a

But, oh, these things are bliss.  This is exactly the kind of thing I love.  Picture it:  you make some coffee, get all comfy in your chair just as Casablanca is starting, and you’ve got your tidy little workbasket there, with needle, thread, scissors, cute velvet pincushion shaped like a strawberry, and a whole mess of fabric scraps.  Then you just while away the hours, making tiny little stitches just the way granny did them, and you don’t think about how far away you are from being anywhere near a whole quilt top, no, you don’t think about that at all because such thinking will make you look at your wee pile of hexagons and get a little panicky.  Which is not where we want to be, come on, keep stitching, watch the movie…

100_7814a 

Cut, baste, stitch.  Cut, baste, stitch.  Keep going.  This could take a year or ten.  Lovely!  If you’re interested in this technique, let me direct you to Hilde Klatt’s gorgeous blog.  Especially this.  That gives me some serious quilt envy!

100_7820a

Oh, happy sigh.  This is the coziest thing yet. 

9 comments:

  1. Cozy indeed! I barely left my comfy love seat yesterday. A full day of blogging and crocheting. Okay, I also did make cornbread, vege soup and a bean salad, but I didn't clean a thing -- except dishes. :) I never learned to sew -- can't even keep a button on half the time. But I've been doing some primitive stitches and have made a few heart-shaped lavender sachets inspired by another blogger. My motto is handmade doesn't have to be perfect. But your hexagons sure do look perfectly perfect to me. We don't have access to many crafting supplies here and even though I traced a real tag to make mine own tags from cereal boxes, I can never get them straight either. :/ Thanks for stopping by my corner of the world -- want me to send some heat your way? :) Have a terrific Thursday. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh... i remember as a child making these pretties (i was a little country bumpkin!) They are so pretty.
    Do you know i have seen so many things through out blogland, just in the last week, that i would like to try, i just wish the week was 9 days long, the extra 2 would be 'do exactly what you like days' of course chores would be banned!
    j x

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so amazing, like creating your own puzzle. I love how they look, great job Kristen.
    Have a great day,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. Loved them in the 70s, love them still.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute!
    I cannot start them as I would be addicted in a matter of minutes and the children would never be fed.
    I will have to watch you make yours instead.
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are lovely Kirsten. I know how you feel about making them! I sewed some a month or so ago, and am just waiting to finish off the cushion cover - but they were so satisfying to make - i sat outside in the sun with them feeling very content!
    Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment - i used to love making the silk underwear, used to use habotai silk and wear them myself - bliss!!
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your hexagons are just adorable. I have really enjoyed toting my hexagons along with me when I need to sit still for a little while. Also, evenings are fun doing the same. :o)
    Sincerely, Trish

    ReplyDelete
  8. The first quilt I ever made was a paper-pieced hexagon quilt. It was fun to make, I used scraps of fabric that were completely unsuitable because I didn't know any better. I am still quite fond of it, even though it really is a crime against good taste with its synthetic taffeta, heavy woollen tartan and flannelette, all mixed in together.
    Your fabrics, on the other hand, are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ive never tried patchwork quilting before and its on my list of need to learn. These hexagons look so pretty and im very tempted to put my knitting down and try something different.
    Melanie x

    ReplyDelete