Sunday, June 12, 2011

Prairie Pillowcases

100_7766a
I don’t know if I’ll ever get tired of pillowcases.   Ma Ingalls probably had only two sets; one for on the bed and one for in the wash, and possibly another for “best,” but I have dozens, and I love them all.   I love getting the bed dressed, figuring out which quilt to use and which pillowcases will match my mood.  
100_7764a
I made these yesterday, from two yards of vintage fabric, and then I crocheted the lace edging and sewed it on while watching a M*A*S*H marathon on TV.  (Goodness, that’s such a good show, I’d forgotten.)
100_7789a
The lace pattern came from this book, which is a great resource.  I feel like I’ve been searching for a book like this all my life, and now I can make petticoats and chemises, and trim them with cotton lace edging, and wear them every day.  (Now if only I could find a book full of embroidered alphabets, I’d be all set.) 
I decided enough was enough and I made myself learn how to read the pattern chart, knowing it would make my life so much happier, and finally, I got the hang of it.  Now all those Japanese pattern books I have my eye on will be more than just eye candy! 
100_7794a
It’s so hard not to go right on in there and take a nap, right now. 

5 comments:

  1. goodness they are so beautiful, you have been a busy bunny lately
    j x

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very beautiful indeed. I have got to learn to read the pattern charts as we get mostly Japanese crochet books here (go figure since this is a Middle Eastern country) but I guess they are cheaper than bringing them in from anywhere else. I love seeing all the fun projects but haven't a clue how to even get started with them. Maybe I can put that on my to-do list for the summer. Have a great week ahead. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your room looks so inviting and your pillow cases are lovely. I have that book on my Amazon wishlist, glad to hear it's a good one. Hope you are enjoying your weekend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow your pillow cases are absolutely stunning! The lace edging is gorgeous - you are so clever. I'm guessing it must be almost impossible to have a bad nights sleep when your bed looks so amazing. Have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pillows are as precious as can be! :o)
    I love MASH. Last summer we watched so many episodes. It was wonderful! :o)
    Have a nice week.
    Sincerely, Trish

    ReplyDelete