Saturday, June 18, 2011

Tinkerbell’s Socks

100_7826a

I am having camera frustration.  No matter what I try, I can’t seem to make the fact that this yarn has the tiniest and most tastefully delicate little bits of silver thread running through it show up in the photos.  I guess you’ll have to trust me; it sparkles like a vampire in the sunlight.  That sparkly-ness is a little out of character for me, but it was the whole reason I bought this yarn—at least two years ago, at a fiber festival, and when I started them those long years ago, I did not think there was any reason to save the label, so I didn’t.  Somewhere out there in the Mid-Atlantic region of the US, there is a hand-dyer making this lovely yarn, and the fact that I have no idea who it could be kind of makes this one seem like a discovered buried treasure.  That it sparkles only helps. 

It’s taken that long to get these socks done, and I can’t think why, since I made the second one in about a week.   I went against my grain and followed someone else’s pattern, and the result is that these socks are too big for me, but they are comfy and that is the entire point of handknitted socks, right?  The stitches look like cables, but they aren’t.  It’s a cable fakeout.

100_7822a

These are the poetically-named “Diagonal Cross-Rib Socks” by Ann Budd, from this book.  If Ann had been using the yarn I used, she would have called them something else, something like “Tinkerbell’s Orange Crush Cable Fakeout Socks.”  I like that a lot better, so that’s what I’m calling them. 

5 comments:

  1. Lovely!! I am going to try to knit socks before this year ends!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. they are amazing, i am in awe!
    what a perfect name too 'Tinkerbell’s Orange Crush Cable Fakeout Socks'
    just so catchy :o)
    j x

    ReplyDelete
  3. The socks are amazing even if your photos don't show the sparkles. Beautiful yarn and pattern.
    Happy Saturday,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are inspiring me everyday to learn how to knit just so I can have a comfy pair of socks just like yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. They sure look perfect and comfy! I tried knitting. It didn't work out. Crocheting comes much easier to me. :/ Have a great day. Tammy

    ReplyDelete