Friday, July 15, 2011

Summer Cottage Blanket

summercottage5

It’s all finished!  Wanna see?

summercottage10

This blanket reminds me of potted geraniums, white wooden porch rockers, fireworks, and a white-hot summer sky, mid-July itself.  I want to put this on the bed upstairs in the summer cottage, in the room facing the lake, and then flop down on it with a stack of Richie Rich comics, Nancy Drew books, and old issues of Tiger Beat, with a fan pointed directly at my head.

summercottage15

I’ll stir up some Wyler’s lemonade drink mix in a jelly glass with Yosemite Sam on it and lie there sipping it through a straw, listening to the boats going by, watching the curtains flutter.

summercottage8

Later, when I’m all sandy and sunburned, I’ll wrap up in it and lie in the hammock, and Grandma will bring me a big wedge of watermelon, dripping and cold.

100_7943

If I had a summer cottage, that’s what I’d do.

summercottage12

I started this blanket back in March, and have honestly loved working on it.  I used up a huge amount of leftovers, and added most of the pink geranium-ish colors as I went along, as it evolved into itself.  The ice blue border is four skeins of Ella Rae Amity, which is a wool blend, chosen purely for color.  (I will go with 100% wool when possible, but color is always my first consideration.)  The yarn used is mostly a mix of Patons Classic Merino, Ella Rae Classic, and Berroco Vintage, but there were a couple stray things from the crafty thrift store thrown in, again purchased for weight and color, and since those are other people’s leftovers, I have no idea what they are. 

summercottage4

I made 42 granny squares of 11 rounds each, in worsted weight yarn with a US size F hook, piling them up in a basket.  When they were all done, I wet-blocked them by soaking the squares in a sink of tepid water, then carefully squeezing the water out and smoothing them on the porch floor to dry.  I am a big fan of blocking your work—it made the squares so nice and floppy and orderly.  Then I chose (at the last minute) the yarn for the borders and crocheted the last round of each square in that color, joining as I went.

sumcottedgingdetail

For the edging, I worked five rounds of (US) single crochet, and then a round of simple shells:  sc; skip one sc; sc, dc, ch1, dc, sc in same space, skip one sc, repeat. 

summercottage6

This one turned out just exactly as I hoped it would.  How often can you say that?  It is just right, just perfectly summer.

30 comments:

  1. I love it. It is just perfect and I agree with you it belongs in a lovely cottage. I'll join you there only if we can ride our bikes to the local store and buy penny candy and some Archie comic books, too.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is beautiful!!! I love all the colors in it... it's reminds me of Sherbert for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speechless, I am.
    Beautiful, it is.

    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blanket is beautiful, I love the summery colors you used. Great job; it is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the colors and the border. So pretty! Ahhh, Nancy Drew and comic books. You just took me back there. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just gorgeous. The colours are so beautiful and it looks extremely snuggleable!
    Sandra x

    ReplyDelete
  7. IT'S ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! You must be so very proud of yourself and I bet you smile every time you look at it. I'm green with envy and want one myself. Such a fabulous post - love the cottage dream. I love your pink crochet hook too - certainly nicer than the boring grey ones we have over here. Have a fabulous weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thats gorgeous - very snuggly looking too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kristen, that is beautiful and very evocative of all you described. I love, love, love the border - it's simple but it finishes it fabulously.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, I just found your blog. This is such a beautiful Blanket. The colors are amazing. I just flipped through your blog a bit, and you do wonderful work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I also just found your blog..I just adore your blanket. I have made several over the years but just dont fall in love with the way I place my colors..You did an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful and beautiful! Those colors ... just delicious and summerly! Sooo nice and pretty! Such a joy looking at it, must be even more joyful to use it :-)
    x Hilde

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello! I'm another newcomer to your blog and I love, love, love this blanket! I have a couple of things on the go (who hasn't?!) but now I feel like tossing it all to one side to start grannying!
    Janet
    x

    ReplyDelete
  14. So so beautiful. Love the big granny squares and the colours are amazing. So vintage! Can't wait to finish all my WIP and add this to my list! Enjoy your blanket!

    Carina

    ReplyDelete
  15. I too love the vintage colours !! It's so beautiful Kristen...what a wonderful granny :0)
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous! All the colors are beautiful. So perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great great plankit.
    I love your grannys so match.
    great colors.


    hugs Conny

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your blanket is beautiful. I like everything about it. The edging is very nice also. You should be very proud of it.
    KATRIN W.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great colors and it looks so cozy too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Stunning! It made me stay mouth open for at least 5 minutes:) wow!
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love, love, love this blanket! The colours are gorgeous and it's so incredibly summery! Did I mention that I love it?!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just visiting from icroceht. This looks so beautiful. You should be super proud.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Es preciosa su manta y la frontera me encanta.
    Un saludo.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Brings me joy just looking at it! What color is the border, I see a mossy green, a soft yellow, and is the other shade grey?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow - just one stunning blanket! LOVE THE COLOURS! ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete
  27. You have created a most memorable blanket,I think Il be pondering that summer cottage image for the rest of the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Excellant way to use left over yarn it turned out beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  29. ¡¡Preciosa manta¡¡
    Saludos.
    Nieves-Mª

    ReplyDelete