Friday, August 12, 2011

Home Again

100_8307

I’ve been on another trip.  No, that’s not Tuscany.  Here’s another, bigger hint:

goldengatebridge1

That’s the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco.  You can’t imagine how long I’ve dreamed about seeing this thing with my own eyes.  During my long-ago literary life as an English Lit undergrad, I read so much Kerouac and listened to so much Grateful Dead that I felt this was my homeland, though I am now 43 years old and have just now seen the Pacific Ocean for the first time.   In fact, I have now seen both edges of our continent in the same single day, a feat that did not fail to amaze, and to bring a few tears of human pride to my eyes—to think we have dreamed up a way to make that happen!  Strange things move me. 

7 comments:

  1. Amazing :o)

    I have things I'd love to see in my country and mine's a heck of a lot smaller than yours ;o). One day.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could also come to Lisbon to see the Golden Gate's twin sister :)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/25_de_Abril_Bridge
    Welcome back!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry... I just discovered the San Francisco Oakland Bay bridge is the twin sister of ours, but the Golden Gate is definitely related ;)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Francisco-Oakland_Bay_Bridge
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh you were here in California! Hope you had fun. Looks like a typical summer day in the Bay Area(fog). Are those Napa vineyards? I'm excited for you. I've lived here for a long time and never get tired of seeing that bridge or the bay. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that's so lovely! I truly hope that one day I get to see that beautiful bridge in person. It is on my to-do-before-I-kick-the-bucket list!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope it was a great trip!! I have never been... but one day I will :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. ,,,so happy you made one of your dreams come true, she is a beauty! i marvel at her every time i'm honored to be in her waters,,,

    ,,,"the world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page",,,

    ReplyDelete