Sunday, August 21, 2011

If Loving Granny Squares is Wrong, I don’t Want To Be Right

100_8350a

It appears I just can’t get enough of granny squares.  I hatched another plan one day recently when I went to add another ball of leftover yarn to the scraps basket and couldn’t get the lid to go back on it.  It is time to really either put those little ends to some use or get rid of them entirely, and well, you know I can’t get rid of them.  Look how great they are together!  I decided to make 400 (I know!) three-round grannies, just whenever I get a moment, whenever the mood strikes me, with no other plan in mind.  I am really, truly going to try not to be all goal-oriented about this thing. (Although if I need 20 x 20 squares at 4 inches square to cover the bed and I can make one square in seven minutes, or about ten squares an hour, it will take me X number of hours to complete the top, minus the edging…all of a sudden I’m doing algebra, and since when did needlework get to be so much about math???)  What I really want is to have a lovely basket of yarn bits beside the chair, with a hook and a little pair of scissors right in there, and to just make a square or two here and there, whenever I feel like it, until there are suddenly 400 of them. 

100_8351a

Isn’t it great, just to look at them all together?  I get such a kick out of that, just that all by itself.  They are every color, too.  This is the Blanket Without a Color Scheme, because I am trying to use up everything in the basket.   There will be a unifying color at the end, which I will choose at the last minute, and then hook a last round on each square in that color, joining as I go, but for now, it is a motley mess of color, and that’s the way I love it.

100_8353a

Yesterday, we delivered the girl back to school for her third year at Hogwarts, and the boy, just sixteen, drove all the way home.  I rode in the backseat, trying not to be a nervous nellie, keeping my head down and my eyes on the hook, knowing Dean is a good and calm man and would not let the boy kill us all, and I managed 23 of these little lovelies before it got too dark to work on them anymore.  It was the best balm ever.  I do not think I could raise teenagers without the soothing work of yarn.   He’s got a lot more driving practice to do, and I have another 350 squares to go, thank goodness.

11 comments:

  1. Love those grannies- what a great idea- I always worry too much about colour and this seems a much more liberating way to work!
    Great story about your kids, too.
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. they are just lovely and once again, I am jealously wishing I knew how to crochet!! Loving your crafty blog - now following your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love that, your yarn will see you through the teenage-years! Lovely granny squares - I'm with you, just love to see them piled up and strewn around looking pretty. Can't wait to see the finished article.
    Nicki xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is going to look lovely. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. ,,,oooo i think something beautiful is in the making,,,

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are great and I'm so impressed at how calm you are! Perhaps I need to do more crochet to cope with my feral children! Looking forward to seeing your blanket,
    Sandra x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those grannys are so stinkin' addictive! Your blanket is going to look great. I'm afraid I needed something stronger than yarn when my son was learning how to drive. Better keep your stash in the car :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love them! I wish I could hook in the car...I get sick looking down in a car too long. I am so excited to see your blanket progress.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am working on granny squares right now too -- they work up so fast! Using what I've got to make a baby blanket or two. I love how you are putting all these colors together. I have zero confidence when it comes to colors with crochet. I use just about every color imagineable in my decorating, but when it comes to crochet, I feel like I haven't a clue. My oldest will be 16 in October. Unfortunately, there is no driver's ed here and kids aren't allowed to drive until they are 18 -- so we'll have to get him started at some point. At his age, I already had my permit. :/ Have a great week. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Blimey I didn't realise you had children too!!!! Can I have some of your time please? ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am the same way about my flowers; I can't get enough of them. I crochet 'em up (it takes about 5 minutes to make one) and throw them into the bowl (that I crocheted specifically for them). Sometimes I attach a pin... sometimes leaves and a stem. Otherwise they just sit in their bowl making me happy. Your squares are beautiful! :-)

    ReplyDelete