Thursday, August 18, 2011

A Little Stitchy-ness

100_8341a

Did you see this, from Anna Maria Horner?  Oh my goodness, now I have to repaint the kitchen again.  Is that a perfect room, or what?  Those striped curtains just made my heart pound.  I can’t even tell you how many times we’ve re-painted the rooms in this house.  I go from neutral to color, and back to neutral, and back to color, wallpaper once, back to neutral.  I think I just love everything, that’s what my problem is.  That, and the fact that I lovelovelove to decorate and make things.  Sometimes I think it would be great to walk into a finished room, have it be all perfect, looking like a magazine photo shoot—then I realize I’d probably sit down for five minutes and then hop up again to start crocheting a doily, and that doily has to go somewhere…I guess I’ll be living in a work-in-progress forever, and I might as well be okay with it.

100_8343a 

Anna Maria designed this fantastic embroidery table thingy (you can find the free pattern here) and I stitched my own version of it last night while watching Edward Scissorhands (Johnny, why are you so awesome???) and everything was fine until:

100_8339a

I scissor-handed it.  Dang, those embroidery scissors are small, but they are pretty sharp.  Every once in awhile, I like to give myself these little reminders to pay attention and take care.  I need little reminders like that.  Well, it’s only needlework, so I didn’t freak out too much, and I’ve decided not to worry about it.  There will probably be a coffee ring on it before too long anyway.  That’s life around here.

100_8344a

I followed all of Anna’s directions except the one that said, “Press well.”  Nope, I can’t do that.  If it had said, “Press pretty well, leaving a bunch of wrinkles around the stitching” I would have been okay.  Honestly, I don’t know how anybody does that, presses something completely wrinkle-less.  I think you need one of those teeny ironing wands people use for applique, maybe. 

I used DMC Perle Cotton 5 in colors #977, #351, #309, #415, and #822, and some kind of stash fabric that might be a linen/cotton blend (who knows—it grew when I got it wet, aargh.)  The backing is something lovely by Valori Wells for Westminster fibers:

100_8342a

I think it’s called “Wren” and it’s a good thing I like it, because it kinda shows through to the front. 

100_8334a

My mom is going to see this and laugh her head off.  She’ll say, “Do you have to put something on every single surface?”  Yes.  Yes, I do.

4 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing how one little item like a table scarf or curtain can inspire a whole room makeover? Ha Ha, It never gets old! I could redecorate all the live long day, but I would probably end up without a husband. Your stitching looks pretty, love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kristen,I love your embroidery and I've just seen your crochet doily....that pattern looks great in pastels ,makes me want to make another...thanks for linking :0)
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristenif I could embroider like you I would have something on every surface, too! You did a fabulous job, and I have to say I like the fabric peeking through. Lovely, lovely, lovely.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband just rolls his eyes when he comes home to find everything upside down because I am rearranging once again. I can only really do that in the living room so it happens at least several times a year. I painted each room a different color several years ago so haven't had the desire to tackle that again. I don't really have a style ... anything goes, and every surface is covered, even walls.

    Your embroidered piece is lovely -- I don't have the patience to follow directions for anything to a tee. I like to just make things up as I go along.

    Hope you have a great weekend. Tammy

    ReplyDelete