Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Slouchy Hat of My Dreams

100_8412a

I’ve wanted a hat like this what seems like forever.  Not a hat to keep my ears warm in the winter (I have a million jillion of those) but a hat to cover up my hair.  You know what I’m talking about, a hat for when it’s Saturday and there are errands to run, or for when you are doing as I am doing and trying to let your short hair grow a little and it really starts to look pretty awful.  (Is that why I look so grumpy?)

There are “slouchy hat” patterns all over the place, but none of them were quite right, so I just went ahead and made this one up.  The yarn is KnitPicks Palette in Green Tea (leftover from the Summertime Cardigan) and I used one ball and a little bit of another.  I’m thinking you could maybe shorten the length by an inch or so and get away with one ball; then you could make this hat for $1.99.  There are a ton of color choices there, too.  Nice! 

100_8407a

I’m sorry my expression is so grievous—I was probably thinking about all the weeds in the yard and how I am no fan of gardening but it’s fixing to eat up my entire weekend.

Anyhoo, if you’d like to make this hat, here’s how:

Materials:  1 ball (maybe plus a little) KnitPicks Palette fingering weight yarn, 16” circular needle US size 3. 

Gauge: 6 stitches per inch

Cast on 120 stitches and join for working in the round.  Place a marker and knit two rounds.  Purl one round.  Switch back to knit and work around until piece measures 2” from cast on edge.  On the next round work an increase every 12 stitches.  Work even in stockinette stitch until piece measures 4” from cast on edge, and work increase round again.  Work even in stockinette stitch with no shaping until piece measures 12” from cast on edge (or until your yarn runs out—save enough to bind off.)  Close the top of the hat with a three-needle bind-off and break the yarn, leaving a longish tail.  Poke the needle through the work at the corner and bring it up on the inside.  Turn the hat inside out and sew the two pointy corners together on the inside.  Weave in the ends. 

100_8413a

If you don’t like that seam on the back, you can Kitchener the hat closed instead of the three-needle bind off.  Up to you!  It was so easy, ridiculously easy.  I want one in every color. 

3 comments:

  1. Cute. Sometimes I wish I could knit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now if only I could knit very well ... I could give it a go and hopefully have it finished by this time next year for next winter!!! It looks fabulous - clever girl. Absolutely perfect for covering up a bad hair day. It would be perfect here today just to keep my hair from sticking in my lippie - it's soooooo windy. Have a fabulous weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! Thanks for the pattern.
    Also, for the three needle bind off, flip your work inside out before doing it, and the seam will be on the inside. I love this bind off for hats, because I can just knit a tube and finish it off, no decreasing!

    ReplyDelete