Friday, August 19, 2011

Towels from scratch

100_8348a

A few weeks ago, I found a white, terry-cloth shower curtain at the thrift store.  I had visions of a white-on-white bathroom, looking like a room at the spa, complete with natural sponges and all the shampoo decanted into matching, label-less bottles, you know, the whole thing just completely spotless (which would never ever happen in my house; a spotless bathroom?  Hahaha!) but I am of the opinion that a trip to the thrift store is the first and best solution to any problem, so I brought that shower curtain home (wait, don’t I have about ten shower curtains already?  Yes, I do.  I like a new one for each season!  And a couple to spare!  And I like to have choices!  And also I can’t resist anything that has a Shabby Chic label and costs five bucks) and I threw it in a hot-water wash.  You know, as you do.  Naturally, it shrank.  A lot, and in a weird way, a way that meant it could never be a shower curtain.  I was a little bit brokenhearted, but nothing goes to waste around here, not if I can help it.

100_8349a 

I cut the curtain into a bunch of 14” x 27” pieces, based on the measurements of the hand towel that was hanging in the bathroom already.  Then I trimmed one piece with scraps from around the workroom, and paired it with another piece, putting wrong sides together and stitching around the edges, then turning, pressing, and topstitching all the way around again.  (The Bernina, newly home from its most recent trip to the hospital, made a terrible honking noise most of the way through this process, and I was on the verge of losing my patience with it altogether, when suddenly it stopped, so I am determined that machine is actually fixed.  I may be in denial.)  Then I made a bunch more towels. 

100_8347a

Actually, I don’t really want an all-white bathroom, anyway. 

10 comments:

  1. I see those all white homes with all the pretty shabby chic rustic natural neutral colors through out and think I would love to live in a house like that. But it's not me - so it would never work. I would much prefer your towels over the spa white bathroom :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so bright and happy! I want to try to make some now! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ,,,your hand towels are cute*ness on steriods,,,they are very *cute*!,,,soon very soon, (i'm being gifted a sewing machine) i will attempt my hand at sewing and i think i might just begin with your inspiration from todays post,,,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! They turned out real cute. I am a sucker for pom pom trim on anything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the look of all white and pristine rooms but could never live in them. When I go to the homes of friends with a pared down look, everything seems so spotless and I think I would like to go home and change out everything I have. But the next day, I look around and say, nah, I like things just the way they are. Those towels with the trim are fabulous. You are always up to something crafty and creative. Have a great weekend. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a brilliant idea! They look absolutely amazing. I can't keep up with you and all your fabulous, clever, crafty ideas!!! Totally inspiring hon. Have a fab week - see you again soon. L x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've just found your blog and I love it!! :)

    Your towels are wonderful - I love the colours of the fabric and trim. Far better than all white I'd say!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a gret idea, the towels are perfect!!! The fabric is great, I am so glad your shower curtain shrank so you could come up with these towels!!!
    Have a great day,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brillo idea! These look gorgeous.
    I need to learn to a bit more on my machine. I've got some cheapo white-ish towels in the depths of the airing cupboard somewhere- think I might dig them out and give this a go!
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your towels are fab! What a fantastic idea, and much better than a terry cloth shower curtain - it would get soggy!

    ReplyDelete