Monday, September 12, 2011

Big Idea

100_8520a 

The Great Ideas just bubble over, but this time I have not the skillz to make it happen on my own, so now I turn hopefully to you lovelies for some guidance.  I have found this succulent piece of upholstery fabric, and it looks exactly like some weird, slippery chairs I saw years ago in the ladies’ room at a Chinese restaurant, so of course I bought it and brought it home.  And I’m thinking it would make such a fantastic coat.  Right?  With some excellent pink floral cotton lining?  I know!  I’m jumping out of my skin right now, wanting to start cutting and sewing so I can wear the coat I have in my mind—I even know exactly which boots I’ll need to go out and buy somewhere, and the lacy knit scarf I can loop around my neck, and when my hair gets a bit longer, I will look. So. Fabulous!  But I need a pattern for this one.  (Aargh, if only I could knit a coat out of this fabric!)  I scoured the archives at Angry Chicken, maker of all fantastic, vintagey children’s coats, but hers aren’t quite what I’m after.  I want something along the lines of this, with no belt, all fitted in the back, in this gorgeous shiny gold brocade chair fabric.  Actually, this is pretty close.  (Tom Hulce, what have you been up to, anyway?  I miss you…) I want to make Elton John turn and look at me with envy next time I see him.  I want it to be the kind of coat that makes a girl want to throw out her entire wardrobe and start over, you know what I mean?  The kind of coat that just spells out exactly who you are? 

Of course, I’ll go over to the fabric shop, where I’ll sit hopefully with the pattern books, amidst the moms looking for Spongebob Squarepants Halloween costumes (why do I always want a new pattern right at Halloween time?) and I will search the books and maybe find something close.  More likely, I’ll end up here, and that, my friends, is a daunting prospect. 

If any of you amazing crafty peeps out there have seen such a coat pattern in your travels, would you please please leave me a comment?  Thank you, I love you all.

10 comments:

  1. I know exactly how you want this coat to look! I too have a need for a brocade coat and will be full of envy once you have made it. Unfortunately I am pants at sewing (something I am intending to remedy soon) so am no help to you whatsoever. I just wanted to know that I share your vision!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out the book Sew Serendipity by Kay Whitt. Her skirts and coats/jackets/dresses are amazing. She has a blog by the same name. I can just picture your material made up in a darling coat. It's gonna be awesome! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could help you but sewing is not my thing a t all. I love the fabric and see the coat potential. Good luck,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I can just picture it!! Unfortunately I don't have a pattern to share :( but thanks for sharing the ones for children coats .. I am thinking about making my daughter a coat this winter to match her new scarf.

    ReplyDelete
  5. here I have some pictures of my girl's coat I think it's so cute maybe you can get some ideas from it.

    http://crochyea.blogspot.com/2011/09/loooove.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen some nice coats made form the Amy Butler pattern line, I don't remember names or anything-good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The first thing that popped into my mind was coat! It will be beuatiful! I was Blog browsing a few days ago, and came across this coat: http://selfishseamstress.wordpress.com/tag/leopard-coat/

    I'm not sure is it's what you're looking for, but It would be pretty in your jacquard!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow what amazing fabric! I hope you have luck finding the perfect pattern soon - because I'm bursting to see you make this one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You all are the greatest gal pals a crafty girl could have! Thank you so much for your help--keep the suggestions coming, too, if you still have them; I haven't started cutting yet!

    ReplyDelete