Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Coat Thinking, and Wool

 

While the coat idea simmers away (and it is, oh, it is!  I have lounged away almost an entire day scrolling through a whole new world of sewing blogs, penned by some extremely talented and superhilarious people who would surely scorn me and my slapdash ways—wait, it takes more than a day to finish a sewn garment?  Huh…) and please don’t stop with the suggestions, if you still have them; I love to hear from you, and if this coat is a success (it could happen; it’s theoretically possible) then of course I will want to make ten more, but let’s not get ahead of ourselves…anyway, while that whole thing has been percolating in my mind, I made this:

100_8516

That’s 360 yards of handspun, from a few batts gifted to me by the always fabulous Debbie, giver of the Cody’s Lambswool.  This is the hair of Liam, a charcoal ram of unknown parentage—Debbie adopted Liam from the Humane Society, and she doesn’t know what the heck he is.  His wool is looooooong, though, and was a bunch of fun to spin.  I think I’m getting the hang of the spinning!  Debbie, you’re awesome.  She gave me five more bags of wool, too, one bag of each of her flock.  It’s getting wooly around here. 

5 comments:

  1. I love the look of home-spun, it's beautiful. I wish I could help with the coat, I saw it so well in my minds eye, looking at the fabric and with your description. Keep sight of your vision; I'm sure you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is sooo awesome! I would love to try spinning someday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So jealous! Spinning is something I would love to learn to do. I am quietly keeping an eye out for second hand equipment. Now I just need to find some sheep .... shouldn't be too hard considering where I live!!!! Have a fab week hon. Good luck with the continuing search for your coat pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spinning your own wool! Fantastic! We saw Tibetan women in Nepal who were spinning wool; I found the whole process fascinating. How it can go from a pile of furry stuff to long strands of yarn is absolutely amazing. Best wishes, Tammy

    ReplyDelete