Sunday, September 25, 2011

Success or Failure? I can’t tell.

100_8603a

I am loving this look in a major way, and a quick analysis of my thrift-store/bargain bin/rudderless melange of clothes collection reveals that I am completely hopeless at dressing myself.  Not that I don’t know exactly what I want to wear—I do, believe me, and if I could find any of it, I would look incredible, every day.  Now, I’m thinking to myself, could I make my own cargo pants?  The answer to that, of course, is no way.  I can make a t-shirt, though! 

100_8600a

Oh, jersey knit fabric.  Why are you so unruly?  Simple enough, this plain little design, just a few pieces to stitch together.  It got so hilarious.  Every seam I attempted—even with the sewing machine manual in one hand, the special stretchy jersey seam stitch machine setting activated, the special machine needle in place, and lots of careful pinning, I could not sew this fabric.  It just wouldn’t let me sew it!  I finally had to leave the edges raw.  I will probably not be wearing this perfectly adorable tee anywhere where people might see me.  It just looks totally homemade.  100_8602a

It turned out really well/awful.  It’s a great little pattern and it fits beautifully. But.  I want to topstitch that bodice join so badly, but…I can’t.  I want to turn under that neckline hem, but I can’t.  It’s a beautiful fit, but I’ll never wear it.  As an aside, what the heck is that print?  It looks animal-ish, but it also kind of looks like alphabet soup.  I feel like if I squint at it, I’ll decode a hidden message.

If you have better luck with jersey fabric and you want to make this tee, the free pattern is here

8 comments:

  1. I actually like it a lot. I like the print and I think it looks very cozy. Aren't raw edges in?
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mere, you totally get me! Thanks, hon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire you for sticking with it! I would have laid it carefully on the floor and stamped on it.
    It looks great to me, I'd be proud of it. (I do a lap of honour if I sew a button on.)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute pattern! Darn that jersey fabric, I hate it when that happens. Do I see a serger in your future?

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I first started reading your post, I kept thinking, 'and now she'll show the really bad picture' but where is it?
    All I see is a totally gorgeous top (I would wear this tomorrow - pair of jeans, long necklace, little cardi).
    Animal print? Very cool
    Raw edges? Verrrrry cool
    Pretty, scoop neck? Verrrrrrrrrry cool.
    I love.
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. try placing invisible tape over the place you want to sew (top and bottom)

    it works well with sheer fabrics, maybe it will work for this.

    I find the cheaper tape from a dollar store works better than a name brand for this purpose.

    good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Also reduce the pressure on your pressor foot when working with jersey. Too much pressure will keep stretchy fabrics from feeding properly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jersey knit + spray starch = SUCCESS! Starch will tame those curling edges and stretching seams, no problem. I like to spray on the starch, let it soak in a moment, then press it dry. Sometimes more than one application is needed.

    Works for other obstreperous fabrics too, like rayon challis.

    ReplyDelete