Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Taking Time to Smell the Granny Squares: Not a Progress Report

100_8577

There are a hundred of these right now, making a nice counterpoint to all the neutral knitting going on.   They’re so cheerful!  So amazingly technicolored!  It’s difficult not to keep a continuous tally of the total, though, to do the quick math to figure out how many I still have left to make, and then go out to buy new yarn for this project, and I’m really trying to avoid rushing it this time.  But it’s so hard!  For one thing, I love to work on these, love it like crazy!  These little squares are really where it’s at in my head right now.  And I’m rather in the habit of wanting to git ‘er done.  I always want to keep counting them, and planning and arranging and calculating.

100_8578a

But that’s not what I’m trying to do here.  I am in no hurry.  I don’t need any more blankets.  Nobody around here is cold.  I want these little squares to last me all winter, to gather colorfully in a basket beside my chair where I can quietly, and without any rushing, make one or two now and then, as my whims dictate--my whims are accustomed to cranking out as many as possible in a mad-dash effort to the finish line—to actually deplete the large store of teeny balls of worsted I have accumulated, and to have, eventually, eventually, something to show for it in the end, something lovely, thoughtfully and restfully made.  Not right now, but eventually.

7 comments:

  1. Aaaah a little granny meditation. Nothing better :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often have the problem of wanting to get things done that I want to do and then putting aside the things that need to be done because I don't want to :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im still working on blanket number one! The one on your header. I am such a freak about making sure my stitches are perfect it takes me forever! Oiy! Love your grannies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a beautiful basket of granny goodness. I love making granny squares as they work up so quickly. Kinda fun to just make them without any real plan. Enjoy the process. Best wishes, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's hard to stop making them isn't it!! They look fabulous and I can't wait to see the finished blanket - in the future if you can wait. Or sooner if you can't! Hope you're having a fab week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your granny squares are so cheerful! :o)
    I too am slowly filling a basket full.
    I am having a little give a way.
    Would you like to drop by? :o)
    hugs. Trish

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a chilled out and relaxing blanket that one will be!
    so pretty, almost like pick and mix sweets.
    enjoy
    love jooles
    P.S thanks for your sweet comment x

    ReplyDelete