Saturday, October 15, 2011

Abacus Bracelet

100_8707a

This is something I’ve been needing for years, only I didn’t know I needed it because I didn’t know there even was such a thing, until I was deep in the patterns on Ravelry and came upon it.  It’s a Row-Counting Abacus Bracelet!  (My scientist husband said, “Do you know how to use an abacus?” If this is an abacus, then yes!)  Here’s how it works:  the smaller beads count as one, and the larger beads count as ten, and as you complete your row, you scoot that little ring of teeny silver beads, which is on an elastic cord, over the first small bead—one row counted.  When you get to the tenth row, you scoot all the small beads back under the ring and move the first of the big beads through it.  Then for row eleven, you have one big and one small bead; for row twenty-three, you have two big beads and three small ones, and so on.  It’s all about how many of which beads are all on one side of the ring.  Brilliant!  This thing is going to save me, like, two bucks a year on sticky notes…and now I can hear you all thinking about how much you need one of these, too.  The tutorial I followed is here.   I just used whatever beads I had around here that had holes big enough for the cord to fit through, which is why it’s a bit of a mishmash.  It’s a little bit motley, which is just the way I like it.

8 comments:

  1. I love the bracelet and who cares if it is functional, it is really beautiful. Good luck on the blanket, I hope you don't give up because it is really beautiful and you will be so happy you completed it. Of course I almost shot myself finishing my son's blanket.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really cute....but probably something else to muddle up my mind. I try and try to be organized and orderly, but it seems the harder I try, the worse I get.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only trouble is that I wouldn't remember if I had moved the bead for that row or not. I'm terrible, I forget things literally as soon as I have done them, or even said them. Counting is one of the things in life I have yet to fully master. It's why I find knitting a challenge!
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  4. My hubby is a science man too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blinkin' marvellous.
    Pretty too!
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty and functional! An abacus bracelet. Who comes up with this stuff? I would definitely wear this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea, and very pretty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello,
    What a great idea; especially when the ones out there may not be to your taste. The link to the tutorial is no longer working though, just a heads up.

    ReplyDelete