Sunday, October 9, 2011

Luna Moth

100_8675a

Everyone in my high school biology class had to spend the summer of 1983 collecting bugs.  Some people did this the right way and went into the woods and meadows with their butterfly nets and kill jars and their field guides, seeking out the correct host plants and habitats, and then they built beautiful wood and glass display cases, mounted the insects with utmost care on tiny pins, hand-lettered labels that read Lepidoptera:  Actias luna and then got an A in biologyThe way I did it was to spend the summer of 1983 reading Tiger Beat magazine in front of the fan and picking dead moths out of the porch light fixture. 

100_8677a 

Some of those other kids had a Luna Moth in their collections, and I was just  stunned.  Luna Moth looked like something you’d find in another world.  They were four inches across, and had incredible, shifting, translucent, alien green-colored wings.  I had not a clue that something like that lived in my neighborhood, visiting other people’s porch lights at night like luminous ghosts.  They were as big as my hand.  It made me sort of snap to attention in biology, this knowledge that I had missed the boat completely, bug collection-wise, and that with the right kind of effort, I could have bagged myself one of those moths, mounted it properly in a glass case, and then kept it forever, displaying it like a Victorian explorer returned from the wilds of Borneo. 

100_8678a

I found this pattern, called “Winged Flowers” by Mary Ellen Designs, copyright 1980, in my thrifty craft store (I know, right?) and stitched it on a napkin (also thrifted) that turned out to be just the right size weave—maybe about 18 ct?  I even had half the required DMC floss colors in my stash already, so there wasn’t any stopping me.  Would you believe I also thrifted the frame? 

100_8676a

Sitting outside by the bug light at Mary Moon’s house past midnight would’ve been a good way, back then, to capture one of these, but this, now, is wonderful, too.  Not to mention being a lot nicer for the bugs.

7 comments:

  1. I really thought you were going to tell us you cross-stitched your bio-bug collection!

    this is such a pretty pattern...I love the frame!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I'm with Beckie. I thought you were gonna say the same thing. I would much rather stitch moths and butterflies than catch them. That frame is perfect. Great thrifty project and wonderful memories, too. :) Happy Sunday, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes things are just meant to be! It really is lovely, and certainly less eekkk!-worthy than a live one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well that project all fell together just perfect, right down to the frame. Those moths are quite huge,(shudder) but I like yours, nice and quiet on the wall where you can keep an eye on it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa - I can't believe how many gorgeous things you have created in the last few weeks! I haven't been able to pop by for the last week or so, so it's been fabulous to catch up on all your projects. I absolutely adore your cross stitch project bag - the fabric is amazing! Your cross stitch looks beautiful - love that it was nearly all thrifted, that's so fantastic. Have a great week! Leah x

    ReplyDelete