Sunday, October 16, 2011

Sunburst Flower Granny Bag

100_8698a 

I was prowling around Pinterest last week (I love Pinterest!  I mean, I reeeaaallllly love it!  I have to pry myself away from there, because the awesomeness just keeps on coming.  This world is so full of fabulous creative people and their fantastic ideas) and I was just happily pinning away when this stopped me in my tracks.  I’m sorry, that’s a Ravelry link—if you haven’t found Ravelry yet, what are you waiting for?  I dove immediately into my bottomless yarn cupboard for a pile of assorted tweedy-looking yarns and then spent what turned out to be the last gorgeous weekend of the year sitting in the backyard making squares. 

The sky was endlessly blue, and I wore a sundress.  There was cold beer.  The curling crabapple leaves fluttered down into my lap, and the chickens puttered happily under the table.  It was, somehow, summer again, marvelous.  And at the end of it, when it started to act like October again (I do believe there was a little sleet today) I had this lovely fall bag--and a little bit of a tan--to remind me. 

There seems not to be a published pattern associated with this bag, so I’ll give you the quick details, in case you want to make one, too.  (I can’t help you score a beautiful weekend, but maybe the sun is shining where you are, anyway.)

The crochet motifs are called Sunburst Flower Granny Squares, and the photo tutorial for that is here, but it’s in German.  You can use the google translator, but here’s a sample of how that looks: 

"{ envelope , bite through the mesh and thread pick up.
Renewed envelope and pull through first 2 sts on needle.}

I had to laugh when it told me to “transshipment the yarn,” and I ended up deciphering it a little bit wrong, so my squares came out on the small side.  The photo tutorial is good, though, and anyway, I think the same pattern can be found in Jane Brocket’s new book, in case you can’t figure out what it all means. 

So, make 17 squares in total, and then crochet them together, setting them on point, in alternating rows of two and three.  It makes a little bit of a rectangle shape.  (Crikey, I should’ve taken pictures of this as I went.)  Hang on, here’s a diagram:

100_8715a

See how they go together?  Now fold it in half with wrong sides facing and crochet it together at the A edges, and then fold up the corner and crochet it together at the B edges, like this:

100_8714a

Make a lining in the same shape, folding up at the corners the same way, and stitch it into the bag. 

100_8697a

I made the handles by twisting 12 long lengths of yarn together until they doubled up on themselves, and attached them to the bag using four small bone rings I had leftover from something else. 

Very cozy for fall, no? 

19 comments:

  1. Kristen, the bag is really beautiful. I love the shape, colors, well everything about it. Well done,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristen, you are fast! It is beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks awesome, as always


    I rumbled thru my bookmarks and found decent instructions here

    http://web.archive.org/web/20011226081401/members.aol.com/lffunt/sunburstgs.htm

    and a good photo here


    http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrshappyhousewife/697349758/

    in my head it will *someday* be a sunflower something :)

    love the bag tho...may rethink my *someday* list now :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful bag!!And the lining is so pretty too!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow it is gorgeous. Well done. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lovely - the handles are great. Might have to borrow that idea! You are so prolific; I am amazed. I really love your bag.
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm fairly new to your blog but I had to stop and say I love your new bag! Almost makes me wish I was a bag girl. I'm much more of a 'if it doesn't fit in my pocket or hand I don't need it' kinda gal. :)

    Pinterest is soooo addicting isn't it?? I read somewhere that "... it's like getting a new magazine in the mail every day." I totally agree.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant make as usual Kristen - you always make such wonderful things and so quickly too!!! You finish them!!! (unlike moi who has a whole stash of unfinished sewing and crocheting projects!)
    Thanks for sharing the instructions and useful diagram for construction.
    Do have ago with grey paint - its so soft and blends in happily with most colours and with other unpainted furniture - and the beauty of it is it can always be repainted if you dont like the result!
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great bag. I love it set on point like that. I like your cute little labels too! I have been looking around to get some made, any suggestions? And don't get me started about Pinterest. It's like online crack. You just can't look once. Very addictive!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. FANTASTIC bag Kristen - really beautiful. That is definitely a make idea to steal. I need a new bag! Thank you for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous bag! And thanks for the tutorial. Now all I'm missing is a link to you on Pinterest!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous bag - I adore that lining too! You are incredible you know - all these amazing things you just whip up in no time at all. I have absolute bag envy just now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is amazing!!! Well done - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ive just seen this bag and i am having palpitations....i don;t think i have felt this way about a bag in along time.....i really really neeeeeeed to make this.
    Stunning
    Pixie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Girl, I luurrrv it!! I am getting off the couch to find the box of granny squares stashed away. Love your colors. :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG! I saw the same photo on Pinterest! Since there was no pattern I searched granny square patterns until i found it! Found some beautiful colors on sale and began crocheting! I am just about to stitch the squares together tonight! have 2 more squares to make. Can't wait till it's finished it's going to be my summer bag! Now I am just searching for the right handles. May be designing my own from braided belts....

    ReplyDelete
  17. How did u stich the lining with the bag. Do u have a tutorial.!? Can u Please mail it to anythingforhobbies@gmail.com please...

    ReplyDelete