Monday, October 3, 2011

Vintage Hats and a Curtain

100_8631a

We ventured into the thrift stores this weekend.  Usually, I avoid them in the fall, since thrifting at Halloween time is like going to the mall at Christmas, which I also hate like the plague, but there was a need in the family for some costume pants, so off we went, and lo!  Looky there!   Chucked in with the plastic Darth Maul masks and popsicle green curly wigs was a little collection of vintage ladies hats!  I was a happy girl, I can tell you.  Look at this one:

100_8635a

That one has a label that says, “Oscar de la Renta” which doesn’t mean it didn’t just come from Macy’s or anything, but isn’t that big glob of posies just delectable?  My teenage son was a little bit appalled since I’d already bought a pair of burgundy heels that he thought were pretty ugly and he was afraid I would be wearing this chapeau around to the grocery store and whatnot, and whoa, do I kind of wanna, but for two bucks, I’m happy just to look at it.  Sweet old lady, thanks for your hats.  I love them.

More and more, my lovely, airy, light-filled workroom is resembling a junk shop, as I chock it full of things like this.  But I looooooove it! 

I did make something over the weekend: 

100_8630a

A plain, white, muslin curtain.  Try not to keel over from the excitement.  In truth, I made four of these—no, eight, since the first four were kind of skimpy and I decided to redo them.  While I was pressing and sewing the forty straight seams on the plain white cotton fabric, I realized something—I actually don’t want any curtains, and I’m really tired of making them.  I wouldn’t even be able to guess how many sets of plain white cotton curtains I have made for this house; how much boring plain white cotton muslin I have ironed and sewn.  I use muslin because, apart from sheer curtains (I’ve had those too, and what’s the point of a curtain if the people going by on the street can still see you?) they are the least there curtains I can think of.  Having curtains on the windows make my rooms feel shrouded.  No, it’s cozy!  Right?  I go back and forth on this one all the time.  What do you think?  100_8627a

Maybe if I add a crocheted lace trim to the bottom edge?  Hmmm.

6 comments:

  1. Oh Kristen, those hats are fabulous! What a find! You remind me of someone I know.....thinking......who could it be? Why yes, I know...ME!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous hats!
    How marvellous to find those in a charity shop.
    I'm a fan of muslin curtains- just enough privacy, without engulfing the room in darkness.
    I don't need net curtains as there are so many greasy marks/smears/ handprints/ marmite etc on my windows, no one can see in anyway.
    Have fun with those hats!
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that embroidery that you have in the first picture :-) the hats are great but that is beautiful. :-) I would definately add a little trim to your muslin curtain - something vintage looking.
    Hxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the hats. I wish I had all of my Grandmother's old hats. They were so wonderful. I think curtains are very cozy and add softness to a room. That being said, I really don't have many in my house. I have wooden blinds in some of the windows, and nothing in others.
    Have a great day,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  5. ♥ ~ ❀ ~ ♥ ~ ❀
    nice!
    I love´t
    from Chile
    c@
    ♥ ~ ❀ ~ ♥ ~ ❀

    ReplyDelete
  6. That lady alien head you bought is getting a good workout. I think it has already paid for itself. Those hats are so cute!! You really should wear one when you pick your son up from school :) The soft light looks pretty through the curtains. Crochet edging would be brilliant!

    ReplyDelete