Sunday, October 23, 2011

The Woodstock Blanket

 100_8767a

I’ve never had to think so much before.   As you know, my usual way is to toss a bunch of yarn into a pile, grab whichever one rolls the closest to where I’m sitting, and just start.  You know, whatever happens, happens.  This time, I made some rules for myself, and it ended up being kind of a headache.  It really happened because of this.  The yarn happened to land that way when I dumped it on the table (see?  This is really how I work) and as I stood there looking at it, the idea for this blanket jumped into my head.  I wanted to move from one color to the next, allowing them to merge and overlap, and I didn’t want them to go in rainbow order, and I wanted it to go from cool to warm and I wanted the colors that were next to each other to look great and show themselves off to their best advantage, because that really is critical.  Trying to make leftovers and scraps gleaned from the back corners of the yarn cupboard conform to an intricate calculus of color theory and design was a lot trickier than I anticipated, but I love the way it turned out.

100_8735a

I more or less abandoned my plan somewhere between the green and the purple and went back to my usual method of just using the next color that looks good, though I did try to maintain the general move from cool to warm. 

100_8731a

I couldn’t believe how hard it was to move from one color combination to the next.  The first two rows of everything just looked completely wrong and I’d spend the next hour freaking out and ripping back and tearing at my hair and clothing.  (Blogless) Sara said, “Even if you think it is not right. By the time you have got some more rows down, it will be.”  Jacquie said the same kind of thing in this post, and they were both right.  But it was hard. 

100_8738a

The stitch pattern I used is a version of the Catherine Wheel, called Harlequin, so named (I guess) because an extra ch1 at the top of the clusters makes them square instead of round.  I started there, inspired by a design called Greenway, from the book Comfort Knitting and Crochet: Afghans by Norah Gaughan and Margery Winter.  If you follow that pattern, you’ll want to know that it doesn’t tell you what to do after you finish the last row of squares and the edge is all pointy, which doesn’t match the beginning edge.  I figured out on my own how to square it off—here’s what I did:  after finishing row 4, turn and ch 3.  Work a 3 dc-tog and then 3 sc in the side of the cluster.  (I think that would make sense to you when you got there.)  Now, work 1 sc in the ch 1 space.  Work a 6 dc-tog, 3 sc in the side of it, sc in ch1 sp, and so on, to the end.  I hope this works for you—let me know if it doesn’t and I’ll see if I can help. 

Anyway, I also didn’t like the edging the pattern suggested, a simple round of crab stitch, which looked great in the photo, but all the sc-ing into the side of my rows just looked awful and I couldn’t stand it.  I did want a plain little row of just one innocuous color so as not to compete with all the hectic color going on, so my solution was to work one row of ch3, skip next 3, sc etc. and one row of 2 sc, ch2, 2 sc in each ch 3 space.  (I’m sorry, I’m not great at writing down crochet directions.)

100_8750a

I love that depending upon how I fold it, it looks like a different blanket!

100_8752a

What, you feel like a little pink today?  No problem!

100_8753a

I’ll be honest;  that right there is the whole reason I keep making blankets.  I can’t even tell you how much I love looking at that teetering mountain of yarny, granny loveliness.  I also love that when my daughter’s friends visit for the weekend, she tells them, “If you get cold, there’s a blanket pretty much everywhere.”   That’s right, I’m keeping the whole world warm, one handful of college students at a time.100_8742a

I don’t know of anything more satisfying to make than a lovely cozy blanket, put together using accumulated detritus and a little brainpower.  This blanket is tie-dye technicolored, recycled and repurposed.  It was an experience.  Tell them about it, Jimi.

100_8734a

edited:  Neicee found the Greenway pattern free on Ravelry!  Here it is. It looks like there’s an errata page, too.  Ravelry, I love you so much.  Thanks, Neicee!

23 comments:

  1. Oh wow it is absolutely stunning! I love, love, love it! You have got the colours just perfect. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blanket is gorgeous. It certainly looks like it would take lots of concentration. I am no good at putting colors together which is why I haven't started any blanket projects lately. A friend told me not to think so much about it. Just go for it. I love your pile of colorful handmade blankets. Who wouldn't want to keep warm with one of those. :) Hope your day is a good one, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oee it looks lovely! A nice change from the usual (also lovely) patterns we see everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's gorgeous Kirsten, how do you produce things so quickly....I'm in awe of your speed and your skills. I love the picture of your pile of blankets ....heavenly :0)
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Its just beautiful! You must tell me how you organize your time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful!!I think your hard work really paid off.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohh Kristen it is wonderful. Well done you! I love the way it seems so many different blankets depending on how it's folded. And the name woodstock fits too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This pattern is actually free on ravelry. Under greenway

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is soooooooo beautiful!!! I also love the pattern, have worked a tiny dolly blanket. Maybe I should start a bigger one... Really so lovely! Great colors!!!
    x Hilde

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh, it's a deliciously squishable and gorgeously colourful blanket. I absolutely loved it (thank you for the name check too but the hard work was all yours!). I love all the colours and how you have put them together. It looks wonderful joining the pile of others. It is true to say I have blanket envy because I am being a lazy so and so and haven't done any of mine for far too long. If I am ever to have anything remotely like a pile I will be happy! I love looking at blankets, it's like creating a woolly fabric out of nothing one stitch at a time. How amazing for them to be sprinkled liberally around the house! Visitors must love it if they are allowed to nab one of those for the night. Beautiful!
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks wonderful Kristen, the colours are a huge success!
    A huge amount of work gone into it aswell - well done!
    Your house must be very cosy come the autumn and winter with all those lovely blankets around!
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's just beautiful Kristen. Despite all the worry over the colors, they just fell into place with stunning results. Great job!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's absolutely gorgeous Kristen! This one and the big granny square blanket are my two favorites. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This blanket is so pretty!!! I absolutely love it! But then again, I really like all the blankets you make :). Jealoussss

    ReplyDelete
  15. You did a great job and your colour combination just looks perfect.
    KATRIN W.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very very beautiful!!!
    The colors are perfect. I made a blanket in this stitch pattern for my granddaughter in pumpkin orange and white, that was two years ago, and I still like how it looks on her crib combined with pink blankies.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What what gorgeous blanket! I want to make one! Your colors are stunning and I enjoyed reading along with your progress.
    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh I love love love love LOVE this beauty.

    ReplyDelete