Thursday, November 3, 2011

Knitted Rose Brooch

100_8832a

There’s the way I want to dress, and then there’s the way I do dress.  The first is a mix of California gypsy bohemian with poet’s shirts and long patchwork dresses, and Edwardian tea party with fitted, high-necked blouses and pencil skirts.  The second, the way I really walk around, is jeans + t-shirt + cardigan.  So, I have a bunch of clothes in my closet that lean toward the first, but they mostly just hang there, looking pretty and waiting.  I guess I will eventually face the fact that I am a jeans and t-shirt sort of girl, and gauzy, white, off-the shoulder peasant blouses are mostly not going to suit me, but, for now, I am holding out the hope.

Anyway, along the lines of the first, I have made another knitted flower corsage, because I am, deep down, a little bit theatrical, and I want every day to be my birthday, and also, when I’m just wearing jeans and a t-shirt, sometimes a little dab of pink is just the thing.

100_8833a

The pattern is from Debbie Bliss’s book The Knitter’s Year.  I love that book, the styling is so beautiful—if you’re on the fence about knitting, are thinking about maybe taking up a new craft, Debbie will seal the deal. 

7 comments:

  1. I know how you feel - I feel the same way. I want to dress a certain way but I don't have the courage to even try to carry it off. Maybe one day, it will hit me and I'll dress how I want to. Now though, it's jeans and tees for me too. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhh so pretty, must check that book out
    love jooles x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm 45 years old and still haven't seemed to quite figure out what style I want. I'm on a mission to wear everything I have and anything I don't feel right in will be donated. Your knitted flower and scarf in the previous post are both very pretty. Hope your day is great. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  4. That gives a plain white blouse just the punch it needs. Such a nice soft touch of femininity! I want to know where you got the blouse? I love it! I am farily new to knitting, so me thinks me must get that book!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely blouse as well!
    Kristen, I made peace with the fact that I'm a jean's girl. Not even cords. I just live through winter in two/three pairs of jeans. Makes it so much easier to decide what to wear!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely flower and great blouse, I think you can be a jeans, cool blouse and cardigan gal. A blouse is as easy to put on as a t-shirt.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  7. My closet is the same. Things I don't want to be ruined with food stains from the kids or are too pretty to wear. I've recently decided no more waiting... it fun you should try it :)

    ReplyDelete