Sunday, November 6, 2011

Lillehammer sweater, in progress

100_8848a

Ever since the 1994 Winter Olympics in Lillehammer, Norway, I have been pretty much besotted by winter.  I love the Winter Olympics, so much!  I love the strange and mostly old foreign places, the lovely little cobbled cities, the alpine scenery, the snug TV stage sets with fake crackling fireplaces and smushy leather chairs, and there’s me at home under a big pile of blankets, watching rosy-cheeked people from all over the world play in the snow.  It’s my favorite thing, the coziest thing ever.  According to the TV, it is customary in Lillehammer to get around town, running your errands and whatnot, on skis.  If you should have a baby along, you strap her into a pretty little wooden sleigh and push the sleigh along the ice like that, your little baby snuggled up in there like cozy a loaf of bread, and you ski along behind the sleigh, waving to your neighbors, or stopping for a bit of chitchat or a hot coffee, and then you ski home.  And the snow sprinkles down and your baby coos happily, her cheeks rosy, and you are pink-cheeked too, and you did not have to scrape the snow off your car or dig out the driveway or wait for the plow to go by just to get anywhere.  Seriously?  Just thinking about living that way makes my heart turn over.  We woke to frost the other day, and all I can do in the face of that is knit.  It’s all I want to do. 

3 comments:

  1. I love the coziness of winter and the way the snow looks but to step out in it ...I will leave that to the kids :)
    Love the colors in the sweater you're making!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like the ideal little life, complete with sweet snow babies. I cannot even imagine what it must be like- it's still in the 70's here! your sweater is beautiful- it just looks snug and cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh, I agree with every word. And that sweater really does look like the embodiment of that dream, seriously.

    ReplyDelete