Sunday, November 13, 2011

Martha’s Gingham Blanket, part 1

100_8870 

It happened last week.  I was just innocently flipping through the November issue of Martha Stewart Living magazine, probably also watching an episode of Downton Abbey, probably still wearing jammies and a bathrobe, when I was suddenly, and without warning, inspired.  I saw that picture and everything just stopped.  You know that feeling? Before I even had time to finish my coffee, I was racing to the yarn shop to buy an armload of yarn to make another blanket.  Actually, more than an armload:

100_8866

Enough?  Too much?  It turns out I actually have no idea whatsoever how much yarn goes into making a blanket.  I’ve always just used scraps.  This seems like a pretty enormous amount of yarn.  In fact, it’s so much yarn that there’s absolutely nowhere but right there on the table to put it, which is why it was in a bunch of last week’s photos (you guys notice everything!)  It is all Patons Classic Merino (Erin, how did you ever spot that?  This girl knows her Patons) in three sock monkey colors, which made me laugh, wondering if the cashier thought I was planning on some kind of sock monkey bender.  That’s it, everyone I know is getting a handknit sock monkey for Christmas!  That would be kind of awesome.

There’s just these three colors, and that’s it.  Cream, taupe, and a marled cream/taupe mix.  A little subdued, no?  It may require a zen-like discipline I don’t currently possess to accomplish all that garter stitch in nothing but three very neutral hues, but it never hurts to grow a little, right?  I’ve already had to counteract it by crocheting a bunch of circus-colored granny squares and dishcloths, but I’ll tell you, this blanket is so amazingly comforting to work on.  There’s nothing I love more than an endless, mindless project.  Martha, you had me at hello.

15 comments:

  1. Oh I can't wait to see it!!! What an inspirational photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too love colours but that includes bright and vibrant to soft and muted. I can't wait to see how your blanket progresses. I don't know if you know this blog but besides having many beautiful things on it, there is the most wonderful grey and cream blanket. It's both crochet and knitted, and looks amazing. It's here http://miaslandliv.blogspot.com/2010/07/grey-blanket.html
    Hope you like it too!

    I agree with you about mindless (but beautiful) projects; I am in no hurry for them to finish.
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that's going to look fab :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was wondering what you were up to when I spotted your wool in the background recently! I adore the colours - so nice a calm and cozy. You'll be finished in no time with your crazy speed knitting - so I can't wait to see the result. You've totally inspired me now. I might just have to dust off my knitting needles and have a go! Happy knitting - have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HaHa ... I DO know my Wool Yarns. =)

    Do post progress pictures ... it will help you stay committed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hola los colores son muy agradables y te inspiran a tejer de inmediato solo imaginar la manta para saber que sera muy cálida y tentadora de abrazar un beso y buen comienzo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to see the blanket. I love the colors but I am sure you will need to do a few more colorful projects while working on the blanket. Good luck.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's the second time this week I've heard someone mention the November Martha mag. I need to get a copy. Your blanket looks like it's going to be the perfect cozy winter project to snuggle under while you knit. Have fun with all that yarn :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Back again. I went to the Martha Stewart website and found this http://www.marthastewart.com/854876/gingham-knit-blanket-how

    Is this the one? It's gorgeous if it is.
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  10. The colours are gorgeous...can't wait to see what you are going to do with the lovely yarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh girl! I cannot wait to see it..Your inspiring. I just saw some of that Sock monkey yarn on sale at Michaels...May have to go back! It kind of reminds me of Mias Landiv's gray and white blanket...Love that one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much, everybody! I'm having the best time knitting this thing, I can't even tell you. Love love love it.

    Sara, that is the one, yes! Thanks for the link. And thanks, too, for the link to Mia's beautiful gray and white blanket--yummy! There really is inspiration everywhere. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful wool! Can't wait to see finished product! Have just finished a blanket myself which I'll be posting on my blog this week. Hope you stop by... lol x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now you've done it!
    Up to my neck in UFOs already!
    But this is just tooooo good a project to pass up. I'll start using those Michael's 40% off coupons and build my blanket one square at a time.
    Who doesn't love a gray plaid blanket!
    Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete