Thursday, December 15, 2011

Acrylic Pendants

100_9208a

These might be the most rewarding thing I’ve made in a long time.  These look so real, so great, that nobody said, “Did you make that?”  Because they in no way look like something a person could just whip up at home. But that’s exactly what I did!  Leah made something similar a couple weeks ago, and I thought it was so beautiful, so I took myself to Hobby Lobby and bought the gear.  You need the bezel findings (is that what they’re called?  Bezel?  I know nothing about this and obviously the packaging is long gone.)  They’re the metal part of the jewelry, and they’re kind of shaped like a dish with a flat bottom.  Also, you need two-part acrylic, which you have to mix in equal parts like epoxy (I used this one.)

100_9206a

I cut out some circles from a piece of scrapbooking paper, popped them into the metal findings, and stuck the pieces in this dish of rice to keep them level.  Then I poured the mixed acrylic into the bezels.  It automatically formed a dome shape and there are only a few tiny bubbles.  (Maybe I didn’t wait long enough after mixing?)  Then the hard part—waiting three days for it to dry and cure, without touching it!  Wow, that was hard.  I must be about six years old. 

100_9206a

As usual, I want to make about a hundred of these.  I think some black and white photos would be so fantastic.  And cute portraits of the kids.  And tiny paintings—wait, no, tiny pieces of crochet!  Oh dear, I might not be able to keep the lid on this one.  Maybe I’d better go watch an episode of Hoarders

5 comments:

  1. So cool! I've got to put this on my "to try" list. (I love to watch Hoarders --somehow I find it cathartic --but my family is disturbed by this, so I don't often get to watch it.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You, as usual, are waaaaaaaay too clever!!

    LOVE these.
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to do pieces of very favoritiest fabrics so I can keep a piece for all eternity!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darling ring! And I LOVE the hat in previous post!!

    ReplyDelete