Thursday, December 8, 2011

Fair Isle Wrist Warmers

100_9182a

So the other day, I brought home the movie Crazy Stupid Love.  First of all, whoa, Ryan Gosling?  I did not know about him, but I do now, yessir.  This shall now be known as the Time After I Found Out About Ryan Gosling.  At also roughly the same time, I brought home the pattern for these wrist warmers, and then I tried to put the two together.  Well, all I can say is I was so fully distracted by that stunning chunk of humanity that is Ryan Gosling that I did not notice that I had knit the whole first wrist warmer backwards.  Maybe upside down?  I don’t know, but the purple part was green and the green part was purple, which seems like it wouldn’t matter, and it didn’t until I got to the chart, which of course required a tad more concentration and so was knitted correctly, as in the purple part was purple and the green part was green.   I had the whole thing done, and I kept peering at it, and the colorwork section, which was right, just looked so weird, but I could not see the problem until after the movie was over and I had sighed a deep, contented sigh because I have now found Ryan Gosling.  Then my head cleared and my vision unclouded and I saw the mistake.  I just slapped my forehead, Three Stooges-style, tore it all out and started over.  What else are you gonna do, right? 

100_9181a

I had two perfect vintage buttons in my stash (I just love it when that happens) and sewed them on.  Then it rained for a week and it was as dank and cheerless as a dungeon in the house.  I really would like to learn to take lovely photographs, even when the sky is black and filled with doom.  Must find a class somewhere. 

100_9177a

I’m not sure what the point of wrist warmers is, since my wrists are rarely the part of me that gets cold.  Wearing fingerless mittens always makes me feel like Jo March, huddled in a chilly attic room working hard at something artistic, suffering a little.  Cold fingers clicking away, meager fire in the grate.  Only I will be huddling at my trusty Bernina, hopefully finishing a linen pencil skirt.  Hopefully.  If I can tear myself away from the Christmas movies.  Tim Allen, you are the very best Santa Claus, the very best.

11 comments:

  1. That is one pretty pair of wrist warmers Kristen. I would have been distracted also. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have yet to see that movie, but you are so right about Ryan G. He doesn't even have to open his mouth. He can just stand there. Looking good. Anyway I can see how you were distracted, and your wrist warmers turned out really cute. That's a great color combo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristen, you are so funny. I really don't get wrist warmers or fingerless gloves either. I know I live in Florida, where it does get cold contrary to popular belief, but it is my fingers that are cold, not my wrists and forearms. I love your however and you will look appropriately fashionable with them on.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hola Kristen gracias por tu mensaje, pasa cuando quieras por mi blog sos bien recibida ☺.. me gustan tus guantes sin dedos son de lo mas cómodos buena propuesta, aquí en Argentina hace muuuucho calor pero para el invierno que viene si, un beso Sandra.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are beautiful! I really like the color combination and the buttons. Also,I love the fact that you got distracted by Ryan Gosling. He is such a beautiful man.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pattern and beautiful colors!
    I like this pretty wrist warmers, I think they warm almost like a cardigan - but much lighter and so stylish ;-)
    x Hilde

    ReplyDelete
  7. ¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨. *
    ¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨ **
    ¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨*o*
    ¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨*♥*o*
    ¨¨¨¨¨¨¨***o***
    ¨¨¨¨¨¨**o**♥*o*
    ¨¨¨¨¨**♥**o**o**
    ¨¨¨¨**o**♥***♥*o*
    ¨¨¨*****♥*o**o****
    ¨¨**♥**o*****o**♥**
    ¨******o*****♥**o***
    ****o***♥**o***o***♥ *
    ¨¨¨¨¨____!_!____
    ¨¨¨¨¨\_________/¨¨

    nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow - I absolutely adore your latest creation - the colours are super gorgeous! I'm just surprised you managed to knit at all while watching him!!! I saw the movie a wee while back and all my girlfriends just went Phwoar!!! I managed to take my eyes off him momentarily to ooh and aah over the lovely handbag Julianne Moore was carrying.

    Have a fab week hon.
    Leah
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha! I LOVE wrist warmers! Try them out when it gets cold, you'll find that they keep you surprisingly warm and you can DO stuff, for gosh sakes! Like drive or smoke (who me?) or use an iphone. And surprisingly unless you live in the arctic or somewhere like, say, Minnesota you stay relatively warm even though your fingertips are exposed. They are magical things. Yours are especially magical, by the way. Great job!

    ReplyDelete