Tuesday, December 13, 2011

A little knitting and some dinner

100_9185a

Is it a hat or is it a hairnet?  I guess, with the way I wear a hat like this, you could make a case for its being both.  There are days—every Saturday and Sunday, for instance—that I just want to cover up my hair and not have to look at it at all.  Girls with long hair can wear a pony tail, and girls with short hair can wear a cute hat.  A hat like this is how I get out the door at all.  

This is the fascinating Scallop Lace Hat by Ruby Submarine, and I used a stray ball of Classic One-Fifty.  I love that dusty blue color; it’s like mist on mountains.  This design looks all tricky, but it’s really wonderfully easy.  That’s the best kind of project, isn’t it?

100_9186a

I had a day at home today with a dodgy tummy, but I’m feeling better now, so I made the easiest, trickiest-looking dinner in the world:  Chicken Pie.  This is what it is--chicken in a pie.  With gravy.  That’s it.  I know this is revolutionary, but there are no vegetables in it at all, nothing to sully the chicken and pastry goodness.  Feel free to put some veggies on the side, but leave them out of this pie.  Here’s the “recipe”:

1.  Roast two chickens.  (You already know that’s the easiest thing in the world right?)  350 F for an hour and twenty five minutes, or until the leg twists easily.  You can test this by having a teenage boy, who will be sniffing around the oven anyway with a hungry look in his eye, attempt to steal a drumstick.  If he gets away with it, you’ll know they’re done.  Shift the roasted chickens, which at this point are browned and delectable, to a cooling rack or tray.  When they’re cool enough to handle, pull all the meat off the bones. 

2.  Wait, don’t throw that pan into the sink yet!  You’ve gotta make gravy.  Come on, gravy is a cinch.  Combine about 3 Tablespoons of cornstarch with about 1/4 cup water and stir well.  Heat the pan with the drippings and cracklings and little stuck-on chicken bits (yum!) on the stove top.  When things start to bubble a little, whisk in the cornstarch mixture and keep whisking until the gravy thickens. Now is the time to add salt and pepper. 

3.  Make a double pie crust.  Line a pie pan with one crust, put all the meat that will fit into it, pour the gravy on top, and cover with the second crust.  Crimp the edges and poke some holes in the top.  Bake 45 minutes at 350 F. 

OR:

Buy two rotisserie chickens, a jar of gravy, and two ready made pie crusts.  Spend thirty seconds stripping the carcasses and then assemble the pie.  Bake one hour at 350.  Same result, and you can still make stock from the bones. 

Yum.  Try it, you’ll get raves from your family, and you hardly have to do a thing.  Thanks to my friend Michelle for showing me the way, Chicken Pie-wise.

5 comments:

  1. I'm just discovering that making hats is very satisfying. One ball of yarn and a few hours later and you've got something really cute!! Love your slouchy hat, the pattern looks very pretty. As for the chicken pie, sounds perfect for a cozy winter dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl that pie sounds amazing!.. You must check out my blog. I was admiring that hat on a girl on a movie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay that pie sounds super yummy! It's like chicken pot pie, but not, and chicken pot pie is one of my favorite things. One of my other favorite things is hats! You make the most wonderful hats and this one is no exception. So this is pretty much the best blog post combo ever! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, ladies! Lara, you're adorable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! Thanks for the recipe - I am always looking for easy yummy recipes.
    The hat! You amaze me ♥

    ReplyDelete