Sunday, January 22, 2012

The Blob, or The Pillow that Ate The Couch

100_9468a

Is it an eyeball?  A rising lump of bread dough?  Is it a deflated chef’s toque?  No, no it isn’t.  It is yet another pillow, which, as you know, is precisely the last thing we need.  Also, this pillow is a whopper.

100_9465a

See it dwarf the furniture with its enormous fluffiness?  When this pillow is on the chair, there is literally no room to sit down.   Possibly I overstuffed?  I do believe that’s part of the problem.  Another cause is probably gauge, but I have to admit I will not pursue that line of inquiry because I have yet to unravel the mysteries of “gauge.”  I mean, I know all about “gauge”, and sometimes I think I’m getting “gauge” but then the object I’m knitting continues to have its own ideas about how big it will be, so whatever.  Anyway, there is now a massive pillow lurking in the shadows of my living room.  Watching me with its Great Eye.

100_9471a

As usual, this effect was unintentional on my part.  My thinking was to use Erika Knight’s very excellent Round Pillow pattern from her book Simple Knitting, and then stuff it—not too much, we’re not making bowling balls here—and use fabric covered buttons to tuck in the centers.  I had a bunch of ecru cotton hanging around the cupboard, so I used that and a US 6 needle, and then spent two lovely days knitting it up.  It was heavenly, too.   But its just a little bit too big, I think. 

100_9469a

Just a little bit.

9 comments:

  1. I do love a good big, pumfy (probably my own word), pillow! I've seen this pattern, and made Eric Knight's huge crochet pillow.. this is lovely... I love the little coloured addition in the middle too! :)x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice and cushy. Looks like a good napping pillow to me!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What about putting it on your bed where the proportion might be better? I think you did a great job. And I agree with you on gauge, it seems the more I try to make it perfect, the more it rebels in my project.
    Hugs to you,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, good idea! The proportions would be better on a bed. :)

      Delete
  4. it does look very inviting and comfy...i love it.
    you must me a supersonic knit
    love jooles x
    P.S i have a little giveaway going on at mine if you fancy a peek xter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh I do love a big cushion!! It's fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is NOTHING wrong with big cushions in my book in fact, the bigger the better!! This looks like one that I would hug madly whilst crying my eyes out through a really sad movie when DH isn't around!!!! lol x

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks very comfy. Maybe you could find a nice footstool to balance it on so you could rest your weary feet on it! Or have it as a floor cushion, I'm sure it would look positively minute on the floor!! Very impressed that you finished it in two days, makes my knitting seem never ending. x

    ReplyDelete