Thursday, January 19, 2012

Harvest Moon sweater

100_9423a

I have made another sweater.  Here’s what I think happens:  I think that when the weather is cold, my brain goes to sleep and all I can imagine doing about the fact that I’m chilly is to knit something, never mind that I already have a lot (I mean a LOT) of sweaters.  If it snows?  I knit faster.  If the wind blows through the cracks?  I knit with one hand and cast on two more sweaters with the other.  If there’s a blizzard and the power goes out and we all have to sit around by candlelight singing madgrigals in four-part harmony because the internet won’t work?  I sing alto, while knitting in the dark.  I guess that’s just how I am.

100_9439a

This has turned out to be the most perfect sweater I have ever made.  It is Harvest Moon by Heidi Kirrmaier, and I love it.  It has everything I want in a handknit garment—interesting details, great fit, and long stretches of plain knitting so I can keep my eyes on Downton Abbey while I work. 

100_9446a

I’ve worn this sweater four times since I finished it.  I wore it before it was even photographed.  I wore it yesterday, and I want to wear it again right now.  It is warm and flattering and comfortable.  Heidi, I am your faithful servant.   I don’t know which part I like better, the tidy i-cord bindoff (which rolled like a cinnamon bun until I blocked it, after which it just sat up straight and combed its hair and behaved itself like I can’t believe) or the cute little crescent-shaped pocket trims with i-cord edging:

100_9424a

Oooh, aaahh. 

The yarn is Cascade 220 in charcoal gray, recycled from another sweater I made a few years ago and got tired of. 

100_9440a

I love this sweater so much that I’ve already started another one just like it:

100_9459a

I can’t wait.

13 comments:

  1. It is so satisfying to make something AND look good in it! Again, I am so impressed with your productivity. And DO you all sing four-part harmony together?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much! And yes, we do from time to time sing together. My family is all very musically inclined, and I am the weak link. :)

      Delete
  2. Wow, that is so pretty! THIS is why I want to learn to knit <3

    xx MaDonna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! Might even inspire me to try my hand at some knitting before winter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is gorgeous. Love the color, I am a grey girl through and through. Love the details and the fit is perfect. Wonderful job, isn't great to finish a project you love so much?
    Have a great day,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are an amazing knitter..you do such prodigious and beautiful work..

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is just perfect! I absolutely love the pockets, and it IS very flattering. I can't wait to see the deep rose one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its brilliant Kristen! Such a great style and colour, and beautifully made, and so useful a colour, what won't it go with? Love the colour of the next version too!
    As usual I am amazed at how much you achieve - do you ever sleep?!!!!
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can see why you like this pattern. Love the neckline, the one button at the top, and those great pockets! I think you should have one in every color!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow! that sweater is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. that is one beautiful sweater, i just love the neckline. i am using casacde 220 at the mo and the colour palette is amazing, so you could make it in many a colour!
    love jooles x

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are amazing! I love the sweater too. You are the fastest knitter I have ever known!! Love the hat you have on too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi there, wow, wonderful blog, i have been doin a bit of blog hoppin' and i found your lovely site...what a super space...lovely and colourful and cheery.
    Most happy to of found you.
    Pixie :)

    ReplyDelete