Monday, January 9, 2012

Monogrammed Mittens

100_9222b

When my girl was very little, I knit her a pair of mittens, in purple yarn, and she wore them to nursery school where, one day, another kid put them on and said they were his.  I kind of thought it was great that he wanted some purple hand-knit mittens that much, but when I pointed out that it was very sweet that he liked them but that the mittens actually belonged to my daughter, the boy’s mother said, with a straight face, “Nope.  Those are Jeffrey’s mittens.”  This was a long time ago now, but thinking about it still makes me feel indignant, and I don’t mind telling you that I totally helped her steal them back from him. 

100_9216a

There can be no confusion here.  These mittens do not belong to Jeffrey.  I think Mrs. Weasley knits her monograms right in to the fabric, intarsia-style, but I cheated and used duplicate stitch to put the N on these.  (There’s a great article on the difference here, if you’re interested.)  Pretty cozy, huh?  Now I’m imagining my whole family in monogrammed mittens, each pair a different color, just marching down the street covered in hand knits like a bunch of Weasleys headed for Diagon Alley.  Better start knitting.

7 comments:

  1. hi kristen,
    a great idea.....i like it.
    your blog is wonderful.
    greetings from germany,
    regina
    reginassimplelife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice mittens! Mittens are on my long list but a new hat is first which can only be made after I finish my hot water bottle cover and blanket.

    What outright theft! His mittens indeed. A little girl once pilfered my daughters toy troll doll and kept it. I said it was hers, she said it wasn't. I didn't want to call her out on being a thief so I left it. My now grown up daughter still thinks I let the side down. So well done you for getting your purple mittens back!

    I wouldn't say it's cheating as duplicate stitch is pretty tricksy stuff too. Something that I for one have not yet mastered.
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are perfect and I love this story. There are so many Mother's out there that would rather say their kids are right than to do the right thing and correct their children. I wonder what ever happened to that little boy......
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad you got the purple mittens back! It's always a bit of a shock to me when adults have the same ethics as two-year-olds. Just have this mitten owner be careful around people whose name begins with N ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. At first I thought intarsia was a spell name. I could picture Hermione pointing her wand at mittens and yelling "Intarsia!", and a monogram would appear.(sigh) There is so much about knitting I don't get. Anyway, Mrs. Weasley ain't got nothing on you sister. Love your cozy mittens. Jeffrey needs to back off.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha haa! Good for you for getting you own back :-)

    ReplyDelete