Friday, January 27, 2012

Ruffle Rayon Scarf, a failure

100_9356a

Is it fair of me to blog about something that’s already in the dumpster?  I don’t know.  This project had so much promise, but I should’ve known the minute I cut into this fabric that it would end badly. 

100_9355a

You might be looking at it, wondering what could have gone so wrong that I have already thrown it in the trash? 

100_9357a

See it now?  It’s the “Make-Your-Own-Fun-Fur Scarf”!  It shouldn’t have been this way, but I failed to heed the directions, which very clearly stated that I should choose a fabric that wouldn’t fray.   Oh, what’s a little fraying among friends, right?  Well, you see there.  It looks like a wig for your neck!  It wasn’t even the extra-hairy appearance of the scarf, either, that was the biggest problem, it was that if I wore it, or actually if I even touched it, it shed all over me and I looked like I’d been wrestling polar bears.  Little teeny hairs of rayon just flew off this thing.  There was a cloud of them.  They were in my hair and in my mouth.  They fully coated the work room, and everything I made for a week afterwards had strings of rayon all over it. 

100_9357a

This could have been awesome, if I’d listened.  I think the right fabric choice would still make this a great scarf.  I don’t know.  I might try again.  The pattern, if you feel like taking a crack at this thing, is in the super-clever book Fabric-by-Fabric: One Yard Wonders.   Seriously, look for a fabric that doesn’t fray very much.  Really.

10 comments:

  1. I had to smile. Don't these things happen? 'Twas a good idea and would have looked lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw blimey!
    It was fabulous fabric and a great looking pattern, too.
    Wot a bummer.
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah Kristen, I feel your pain. I have had many a blog entry about a disaster, most of them knitting related now that I think about it. And most of them after I have spent hour and hours on a project, okay now I am depressed.
    Hope your next scarf is a great success.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mere, don't be depressed--these things are just milestones on the path of our learning. I have unraveled many thousands of miles of yarn in the service of my favorite craft, and I don't regret any of it. Try, try again, right? :)

      Delete
  4. You had the right idea. The fabric is really pretty. It reminds me of one from Anthropologie. But I think it was made of a cotton voile. Back to the drawing board eh?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's an awfully beautiful failure, though I suppose the shedding fur ruins the flowy, flowery effect you were going for. I'm sure that your next success will be even more sweet because of it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh rats! What a total shame. I did have to laugh though as I can totally relate about not reading the instructions properly!! Take care hon. L x

    ReplyDelete
  7. The fabric is really beautiful. I think it should be made of a cotton voile.Wot a bummer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, cotton voile would be really nice! I was thinking Liberty lawn, but that stuff costs an arm and a leg...

      Delete
  8. I have decided to make a long scarf and was just looking at rayon fabrics on fabric.com when I googled the "how to make" and found your blog. Thanks for saving me from repeating your learning experience. But your fabric was beautiful!

    ReplyDelete